Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 30, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 30, 2010

      Wise and foolish builders

      Jesus taught, "Everyone then who hears these words
      of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man
      who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the
      floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that
      house, but it did not fall, because it had been
      founded on rock."
      Matthew 7:24-25

      My father was a master carpenter. While in my
      teens, he and my mother built the home of their
      dreams. I will always remember his painstaking
      attention to detail as he laid the foundation,
      installed plumbing and wiring. Most of his
      friends were plumbers, electricians, carpenters,
      and laborers. They helped him build the house.
      Many were the nights that my father would quietly
      redo much of the work. He would only be satisfied
      with the best work and sturdiest house. Houses
      are just not made like that anymore in our prefab
      construction world. My father's house could
      withstand most of what Mother Nature could offer.
      The foundation was rock-solid.

      The words of Jesus offer us a rock-solid spiritual
      foundation for our lives. We will be wise to put
      them into practice. Whatever life brings us, we
      will have the inner resources to withstand
      adversity, temptation, despair, grief, persecution,
      injustice, and evil. Jesus is our rock.

      Some Bibles will have the words of Jesus in red
      print. If you have never read them before, it
      can be a transforming experience. You will be
      given wisdom, insight, faith, courage, peace,
      and joy. As we say in North America, "Try it,
      you'll like it."

      God, let the words of Jesus Christ be the
      foundation of our lives. Amen.