Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 2, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 2, 2010

      Keeping your word

      Jesus taught, "Again, you have heard that it was
      said to those of ancient times, 'You shall not
      swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have
      made to the Lord.' But I say to you, Do not
      swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the
      throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his
      footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city
      of the great King. And do not swear by your
      head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
      Let your word be 'Yes, Yes' or 'No, No'; anything
      more than this comes from the evil one."
      Matthew 5:33-37

      Jesus' words in today's verse are intended to help
      listeners avoid perjury, according to F. F. Bruce
      ("The Hard Sayings of Jesus," pp. 66-67). Bearing
      false witness and breaking our vows are significant
      legal and spiritual concerns. Scripture lessons in
      Exodus 20:7, Leviticus 19:12, Numbers 30:2, and
      Deuteronomy 23:21 offer further guidance. In short,
      followers of Jesus should be women and men of their
      word.

      While writing this reflection I watched a wonderful
      movie "It Could Happen to You." This entertaining
      1994 movie is about a New York City cop, a waitress,
      and a lottery ticket. To the cop's embarrassment,
      as he paid his bill, he lacked money for a tip.
      All he had left was a lottery ticket. Not expecting
      to win anything, the police officer promised to share
      his lottery winnings with the waitress in lieu of a
      tip. To everyone's surprise and delight, the officer
      held the winning ticket for millions of dollars.

      Being a man of his word, he honored his promise and
      endured much criticism for doing so. But his word
      was his pledge and he was determined to do the right
      thing. He had made a promise. Being a person of
      integrity, he kept his word. What would you have
      done in his situation?

      So for today, let your "yes" be "yes" and "no" be '
      "no" before making hasty promises. Consider the
      cost of your words. Think twice before offering
      vows, oaths, promises, and good intentions. As
      a follower of Jesus, keep your word.

      God, help us honor our words, promises, vows, and
      oaths. Amen.