Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 25, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 12:00 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 25, 2010

      Blessed are the persecuted, insulted, and slandered

      Jesus taught, "Blessed are those who are persecuted
      for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom
      of heaven. Blessed are you when people revile you
      and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against
      you falsely on my account."
      Matthew 5:10-11

      Reader, beware! Discipleship, following Jesus, can
      be costly. Following Jesus has never been easy. He
      never promised health, wealth, popularity, or
      prosperity to his followers. If you choose to live
      these Beatitudes, you may find yourself persecuted,
      insulted, and slandered. It is not easy to live
      these teachings. I would suggest it is humanly
      impossible. We need God's help. We also need some
      kind of community or small group support for
      encouragement. Discipleship is too difficult to
      do alone. We need companions, teachers, and
      cheerleaders for encouragement. We need to nurture
      an inner spiritual maturity as we choose daily to live
      the Jesus way.

      It is especially important to remember that "discipleship
      is joy" (Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. "The Cost of Discipleship,"
      p. 41). People throughout the ages have joyously endured
      persecution, insults, and slander to follow Christ. He
      is the greatest spiritual leader world history has known.
      You will find in your Gospel readings that Jesus never
      asked people to endure what he had not experienced.
      This includes persecution.

      Take the time to reread the previous Beatitudes. With
      these special words Jesus teaches us about humility,
      grief, gentleness, righteousness, mercy, purity of heart,
      and peacemaking. Will you follow these teachings? Yes,
      there may be hardship experienced along the way, but
      showers of blessings await you. Whatever your lot may
      be, these Beatitudes will bless you with spiritual
      abundance and joy.

      Blessed are the persecuted, insulted, and slandered.
      Blessed are the pure, humble, comforted, gentle,
      merciful, and those who love peace.

      God, give me understanding and willingness to live these Beatitudes with joy.