Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 4, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 4, 2010

      **********
      We wish you a blessed Easter!

      Christmas in April

      "Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in
      this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged
      to Joseph, but before they lived together, she
      was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit."
      Matthew 1:18

      Usually we hear this famous story only at Christmas
      time. But if you have ever felt pregnant with holy
      longings, this great story is relevant any day of
      the year. Mary risked everything by agreeing to
      this divine impregnation. Her culture could have
      demanded the death penalty by stoning for her
      perceived illegitimate pregnancy.

      Joseph reminds me of many young unmarried men
      today who have pregnant girlfriends. This was
      not his biological baby, and quite frankly, Mary's
      explanation about how the Holy Spirit impregnated
      her sounded farfetched and impossible. He wrestled
      with her story and almost left her. But he sensed
      God in a powerful dream, which told him to stay
      with Mary and the remarkable child.

      And unknown to Mary and Joseph during the tumultuous
      pregnancy, the Magi, often called wise men or three
      kings in popular Christmas carols, were traveling
      many arduous and dangerous miles to worship this
      amazing child. Their holy pilgrimage innocently
      contributed to the destruction of many male infants.
      In order to protect his throne, King Herod willingly
      slaughtered young children, hoping to do away with
      the newborn "king of the Jews." Mary and Joseph
      fled for their lives with the newborn child to
      another country and sought refuge until God again
      spoke to them through a dream.

      If you have never read the entire Christmas story
      in this Gospel (Matthew 1:18 2:15), it is a real
      thriller. Mary, Joseph, and the Magi were ordinary
      people willing to be used in extraordinary ways for
      God. They were holy dreamers and remarkably sensitive
      to God. Their faith can be our faith as we search for
      what is reliable and trustworthy in the great mystery
      of God through our own holy readings and journey.

      God, help us be as spiritually sensitive and courageous
      as these holy dreamers. Bring us into new faith and
      help us find a place in these Gospel stories. Amen.