Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 14, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 14, 2010

      How to bless

      "Then Jesus led them out as far as Bethany, and,
      lifting up his hands, he blessed them."
      Luke 24:50

      Blessing is a widespread Biblical practice not
      limited to the Old Testament. Jesus fully
      understood the power of blessing and in this
      passage blesses his people as he leaves them.
      He equips them with divine power and confidence
      for a great life work through his blessing.

      The simplest formula for performing a blessing
      is "blessed are you!" It often comes with simple
      actions with symbolic significance. The one
      blessing raises the right hand (Genesis 48:13ff),
      or raises both arms and hands (Exodus 17:11).
      People kiss or embrace as a blessing without
      embarrassment (Genesis 48:10) or sexual intent
      or seduction. Often the one who is to give the
      blessing eats a special meal before bestowing
      it (Genesis 27:4). The patriarchs in Genesis
      chapters 12 through 36 demonstrate performing
      blessings in a variety of ways.

      For Christians, often blessing is spoken with
      the right hand raised, making the sign of the
      cross. It is the pronouncement of God's gracious
      favor and given on the authority of scripture to
      faithful believers. Christians are assured of
      God's grace, love, and spirit in us.

      We do not have to be Jesus to bless people we
      love. We can bless with simple, symbolic body
      movements such as raising our arms and careful
      touch. Meaningful touch can be healing when
      done well. Be careful with this however! In
      today's world, many have been assaulted or
      sexually molested. While touch was essential
      in Old Testament blessing, use caution and
      discretion in our twenty-first century world.
      When touch is acceptable and appropriate, it
      can convey warmth, personal acceptance, and
      even physical health. In the Bible, people
      kissed and hugged gently, and lovingly laid
      on hands while performing a blessing.

      God, give me a blessing today and help me pass
      the blessing on to others.