Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 7, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 7, 2010

      The power of blessing

      God said to Abram, "I will bless those who bless you
      and whoever curses you I will curse, and all peoples
      on the earth will be blessed through you."
      Genesis 12:3

      God blessed Abraham, an individual of enormous faith
      and courage with these famous words, "I will bless
      those who bless you and whoever curses you I will
      curse, and all peoples on the earth will be blessed
      through you" (Genesis 12:3 NRSV). Abraham's faith
      was enormous for he believed nothing was impossible
      with God. He was even willing leave his birthplace,
      kinfolk, and country in joyful obedience to follow
      God's specific call in his life. As a result, God
      blessed this faithful pioneer and promised to make
      Abraham and his descendants into a great nation.

      This sacred blessing is not limited to Abraham and
      the nation of Israel. Gay or straight, we can have
      the faith and blessing of Abraham too. None are
      excluded from Divine blessing for other verses also
      show that God's blessing is for all people (Genesis
      12:3, 18:18, Galatians 3:8, and Acts 3:25). Dr.
      Ralph Blair, noted psychotherapist and founder of
      Evangelicals Concerned (a national organization
      dedicated to assisting lesbians and gay men and
      churches better understand homosexuality and the
      Good News of God's grace and peace) reinforces this
      understanding of divine love, blessing, and inclusion
      (Blair, Ralph. "Dr. Ralph Blair's Remarks to Parents
      & Friends of Lesbians & Gays at St. Bartholomew's
      Church in New York City, September 8, 2002."
      www.ecinc.org ).

      Experience the power of your blessing and with
      Abraham as your example, journey with God as someone
      divinely blessed. Your blessing is irrevocable and
      can never be removed. Once blessed, always blessed.
      Memorize Genesis 12:3 and whenever you doubt your
      blessedness, recite it as a prayer of gratitude.
      In doing so, you will be strengthened and encouraged
      through the power of your blessing.

      God, bless me as you blessed faithful Abraham. Bless
      my journey through life.