Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 7, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 7, 2010

      Lack words for prayer?

      "Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God,
      for to you I pray."
      Psalm 5:2a

      "God can pick sense out of a confused prayer."
      ~ Richard Sibbes (1577-1635), The Bruised Reed
      (1630)

      Do you struggle to honestly pray your feelings of
      suffering and spiritual anguish? Do you lack words
      for prayer? Are you searching for a prayer book?
      Do you struggle to find words for praise, lament,
      hatred, revenge, repentance, and other feelings?

      Try praying the Psalms. Christ often prayed them,
      memorized them, and quoted them in times of crisis
      and danger in his life. They are spiritually
      empowering and have withstood the test of time
      by countless generations of spiritually hurting
      and rejoicing humanity.

      The Psalms address a range of prayer needs.

      Are you discouraged? Then be encouraged. Lament
      is the backbone of many of the Psalms. A taste of
      lament can be found in Psalms 13, 22, 39, 88, and
      130. These are truly the cries from our hearts.

      Are you angry and yearn for vengeance? You are
      in good company and can find such voiced prayers
      recorded in Psalms 10, 58, 69, 109, and 137.

      Confession has always been good for our souls.
      Consider browsing Psalms 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130,
      and 143 for starters!

      Many people struggle with praising and thanking
      God. Some famous Psalms of praise are found in
      Psalms 111 118. Magnificent doxologies (hymns
      of praise to God) await us in Psalms 145 150.

      One Psalmist declared, "I will pray morning,
      noon, and night" (Psalm 55:17). Whatever our
      moods and emotions, life circumstances, time
      of the day or night, we will find words of
      spiritual empowerment in the Psalms. Whatever
      your mood is, pray. Remember, "God can pick
      sense out of a confused prayer."

      God, help us be spiritually empowered morning,
      noon, and night through prayer.