Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 19, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Sara Case.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Mark 12:35-44

      Today we find Jesus teaching in the Temple courts. We
      know he is speaking to a large crowd, but we are not told
      who the people are. Imagine yourself there in the crowd,
      listening to the teacher. You are among first century Jews,
      taught from your earliest days to expect a Messiah of
      Davidic descent, and Jesus raises a question about your
      belief! He also challenges the authority of those who
      taught you.

      In questioning this teaching, Jesus does not say whether
      it is right or wrong. He leaves no doubt, however, that
      the belief of the most important people in church or
      society does not necessarily make that belief true. Jesus
      simply examines the teaching in question in the light of
      Scripture and opens it to the power of God for resolution.

      In seeking spiritual truth, we must learn to open our
      questions, open our very selves, to the light of God�s
      power, and then wait for the answer, however long the
      wait may be. In this case, the answer to Jesus� question
      did not come until after his death and Resurrection when
      his own Davidic descent was claimed and reconciled with
      Scripture. (See, for example, Matthew 1:1-17, Luke
      3:23-38, Romans 1:3, and 2 Timothy 2:8.)

      Has one of your beliefs come under question recently?
      If so, recall the circumstances and how you felt on that
      occasion. Offer your questions to God now, along with
      all the feelings your uncertainty stimulates. As you wait
      for God�s answer, let God bring life to your questions.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,