Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 31, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2010
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 31, 2010

      Be in spiritual community

      "If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any
      consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit,
      any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete:
      be of the same mind, having the same love, being
      in full accord and of one mind."
      Philippians 2:1-2

      Sometimes we need friends. We need spiritual
      community in order to thrive and to get through
      life when the unexpected happens. Even the strong
      and independent among us need loving support,
      encouragement, consolation, compassion, and
      sympathy when our dreams burst and loved ones die.

      I recently was invited to preach at a local church.
      During the sermon, I invited people to be in
      spiritual community. I shared an example of a
      young missionary family in Peru. The Peruvian
      government mistakenly identified their small
      plane as a drug trafficking aircraft and shot
      them down. The young mother and her infant
      child died in the resulting crash. The local
      church lovingly embraced and cared for the grief
      stricken husband. Many family members and friends
      from their church denomination assisted in the
      funeral and continued to love and comfort the
      young widower. I shared during the sermon that
      this bereaved man was being uplifted and supported
      by his spiritual community.

      We need the encouragement of community. We need
      people. We need to gather together for moments of
      fellowship, community, and worship. When we feel
      numbed by grief, discouraged, and disappointed in
      our lives caring community can be a great source
      of blessing. Caring community energizes, equips,
      empowers, and encourages us.

      After the sermon, we had time for sharing our
      concerns for community prayer. Various people
      raised their hands and shared prayer needs and
      requests, joys, and concerns. A man in the back
      hesitantly lifted up his arm. Very quietly he
      said, "I just found out an hour ago that my
      brother died in a car accident. I didn't know
      what else to do and so I came to church."

      We prayed for him and his family. Caring people
      surrounded him after the service, offering their
      help and hugs. They helped him with travel
      arrangements and got him to the airport. A
      number of people called and e-mailed their love
      and support. They sent sympathy cards and flowers
      for the funeral. His pastors stayed in close
      contact. Through this church, a grief stricken
      brother experienced the comfort, consolation,
      loving compassion, and caring of Christ through
      people.

      Find a spiritual community this year. It is part
      of living as the beloved, one day at a time.
      Worship regularly in the good times and the bad.
      You will be energized, empowered, and equipped
      for everything that life brings your way. You
      will also be a blessing and source of strength to
      others in their moments of deepest need.

      Caring God of comfort, consolation, compassion,
      and love bless us with such a spiritual
      community. Amen.