Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 27, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26 7:10 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 27, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html

      Prevailing, persevering prayer wisdom from an elder

      "After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise
      the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by
      the angel before he was conceived in the womb. When
      the time came for their purification according to the
      law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to
      present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law
      of the Lord, 'Every firstborn male shall be designated
      as holy to the Lord'), and they offered a sacrifice
      according to what is stated in the law of the Lord,
      'a pair of turtle-doves or two young pigeons.' Now
      there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon;
      this man was righteous and devout, looking forward
      to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit
      rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the
      Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he
      had seen the Lord's Messiah. Guided by the Spirit,
      Simeon came into the temple; and when the parents
      brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was
      customary under the law, Simeon took him in his
      arms and praised God, saying, 'Master, now you
      are dismissing your servant in peace, according
      to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation,
      which you have prepared in the presence of all
      peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles
      and for glory to your people Israel.'"
      Luke 2:21-32

      We can join elderly Simeon in praising God today
      as he eagerly reached out and held the tiny baby,
      Jesus. Through Holy Spirit inspiration, Simeon
      realized God had graciously answered his prevailing,
      persevering prayers. His feeble old eyes, dimmed
      with age and cataracts, had finally seen the
      salvation of the world. Simeon had spent his
      entire life waiting and praying for the promised
      Messiah. With Jesus in his frail arms, he knew
      his prayers had been answered.
      Now he could die in peace.

      In this brief story, Simeon brings every generation
      of Bible readers a wealth of spiritual insight and
      wisdom, seasoned by decades of faithful praying.
      Gay or straight, we are called to pray. Prayer
      is not only our lifeline to God, but also our
      means of making the world a better place to live.
      History has always belonged to the intercessors,
      those who care enough to pray patiently throughout
      a lifetime.

      If you wish to change the world, make a commitment
      to pray. Pray for needs, causes, people, and places
      near and dear to your heart throughout your lifetime.
      Pray daily, pray often, and pray privately and publicly.
      Pray until something happens and then pray more for
      even greater miracles of grace and mercy.

      Consider keeping a prayer journal and marvel at God's
      answers. As you keep track of God's gracious response
      to your intercessory prayers, you will be greatly
      blessed. Sometimes God answers immediately and in
      remarkable ways. Then there are times when God seems
      silent for days, weeks, months, or even years before
      clear answers are seen. But pray boldly, patiently,
      passionately, and with joyful expectation. In doing
      so, someday you too, might find yourself holding God's
      answers in your arms.

      In the process, you will also be transformed and
      energized, blessed and encouraged through the power
      of prayer. Through your prayers, you can make the
      world a better place. Why not begin today?

      Teach me how to pray, O God, with the joyful and f
      aithful dedication of Simeon. Amen.