Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 13, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 13, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html

      Friends and family

      "A friend loves at all times, and kinsfolk are
      born to share adversity."
      Proverbs 17:17

      Today's proverb reminds us of the enduring value
      of friends and family. A true friend loves at
      all times. Kinfolk are born to share adversity.
      Cherish these special people in your life.

      When my grandfather died, Grandma was numb with
      grief. I had the privilege of taking her to
      their summer home for the first week after
      Grandpa's funeral. All through that week, I
      cooked for Grandma and took her out for leisurely
      drives in the car. We sat in the yard and talked
      about her life with Grandpa for hours. In the
      evenings we went to the lake and watched the
      boats. She took long, undisturbed naps in the
      sunshine. I remember watching her sleep while
      my heart ached for her. Grandma had nursed
      Grandpa devotedly around the clock for the
      past ten years. She was weary and worn out.
      Gradually the reality of her loss began to sink
      in. We became very close. I cherish every
      memory of that difficult and blessed week.

      All too soon, it was time to close up their
      summer cottage and go home. Grandma turned
      to me and said, "Thank you for being such a
      wonderful friend." I thanked her for being
      such a wonderful grandmother.

      When she died the following year, many family
      friends and relatives came to pay their final
      respects. During the funeral, we laughed and
      cried while sharing Alf and Inga stories. I
      realized some of these beloved friends had
      become a part of my own extended family.
      These faithful friends had loved my grandparents
      and family through prosperity and adversity,
      health and illness, joy and sorrow. We had
      danced at each other's weddings, celebrated
      birthdays and anniversaries, and seen each
      others' children grow up, sharing comfort at
      funerals over the years. I felt closer to
      some of these friends than my own kin.

      Loving families of choice are not limited to
      marriage and blood relatives. This is
      especially important to acknowledge during
      the holiday season. Cherish those near and
      dear to your heart. Let them know how much
      you love and care for them. Nurture these
      relationships with profound gratitude. Be
      the best friend you can, love at all times,
      and share in adversity.

      O God, help me value families of all kinds.
      Open my heart to friends and family alike.
      I ask that you bring each reader into
      meaningful, loving circles of friends
      through this holiday season. I pray for
      families to be reconciled, friendships