Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 6, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 6, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html

      Strength for the weary and weak

      "Have you not known? Have you not heard? The
      Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the
      ends of the earth. God does not faint or grow
      weary; God's understanding is unsearchable. God
      gives power to the faint, and strengthens the
      powerless. Even youths will faint and be weary,
      and the young will fall exhausted; but those who
      wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
      they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
      they shall run and not be weary, they shall
      walk and not faint."
      Isaiah 40:28-31

      Cleaning my files the other day I came across a
      sermon I preached at the naval hospital more than
      five years ago. It was titled, "Amazing Strength."
      Powerful memories flooded my mind of a courageous,
      quiet, bald headed woman who came to the chapel
      for that Sunday morning service.

      She came alone with her intravenous bottle swaying
      with every step. Her eyes never left me during the
      message. The chapel service had a time for special
      blessing and anointing for those who wanted healing
      prayers. She was too weak to come forward for prayer
      and so I went to her. The woman was undergoing
      massive chemotherapy and radiation for a vicious
      metastatic cancer. Her prognosis was very poor.
      Only God could help her at this stage of her disease.
      We were not the only ones in the congregation with
      tears in our eyes.

      After the service was over, I visited this frail
      woman in her hospital room and found her resting
      in bed with an open Bible on her lap. Sure enough,
      it was opened to these verses on which I had preached.
      She labored for breath as she told of her struggle
      with pain and pending death. The scripture had
      greatly encouraged her to hold on for another day.
      She had imagined herself soaring with the eagles in
      power and strength.

      Her great faith was humbling. Her courage and
      dignity was profound. These words helped her
      continue to live with strength and hope. The
      illness was wasting her body away, but her faith
      in God was vibrant and deep. She was not afraid.

      I will always remember her courage and faith. I
      will remember the look in her eyes as she listened
      to these words. I will remember her open Bible
      during her time of great need and physical
      suffering. She found that God was enough. In
      putting her hope in God, she received the strength
      needed for living one day at a time.

      God, strengthen my faith in whatever my circumstances
      may be. Let these lovely words of courage help me.