Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 18

      �Religion becomes abusive and oppressive as soon as
      people begin to use religion to control other people
      in the name of God.� Rembert Truluck

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send a-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Kreider/Wallner Video Available
      2. Building Bridges Conference
      3. New Meditation Mailings
      4. Become a Guardian Angel!
      5. Call for Submissions
      6. Adam's Last Word: Angels, Prayers for Ron DeVrou,
      Stained Glass Class

      1. New Video

      We now have a new video in stock featuring Roberta Kreider
      and Mary Lou Wallner, with an introduction by the Rev.
      Peter J. Gomes. �Family Stories: Journeys of Spirit in
      Mixed Orientation Families� was produced by John Davis
      and is available for $29.95 which includes shipping and
      handling.

      'Family Stories' presents the journeys of two women whose
      lives have changed dramatically in working through issues
      of sexuality and religion. The untimely deaths of family
      members (one a gay brother, the other a lesbian daughter)
      lead them to confront their feelings of confusion and
      hypocrisy. They provide hope for families, as well as
      religious and social organizations, by clearly
      demonstrating how minds can and do change.

      Roberta Kreider compiled and edited the book �From
      Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
      and Transgendered People and Those Who Love Them.� She
      is a 74 year old, heterosexual Mennonite woman living in
      rural Pennsylvania with her husband Harold, a retired
      minister in the Mennonite church.

      Mary Lou Wallner is an active member of Soulforce, and a
      frequent speaker across the country. Mary Lou resides
      in suburban Chicago with her husband Bob, and is
      completing a book of coping tools for Christians who
      learn of a gay or lesbian loved one in their family.
      She is also an R.N. and runs a free HIV clinic.

      The Rev. Peter J. Gomes is the author of �The Good Book:
      Reading the Bible with Mind and Heart.� He has served
      as Plummer Professor of Christian Morals at Harvard
      University and minister in The Memorial Church since 1974.

      �Family Stories� is in VHS format, color, and 35 minutes,
      and sells for $29.95, shipping and handling included.
      It is only available through the mails please send your
      check or money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O.
      Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      2. Building Bridges Conference

      by Kevin Stone Fries

      Chi Rho Press is beginning to expand its marketing reach
      by participating in community based events and conferences
      while continuing to take its Traveling Bookstore on the
      road. A new non-profit organization, the Institute for
      the Twenty-First Century Relationships (ITCR) will help
      distribute Chi Rho Press catalogs at its first conference
      this week. The new Herndon, Virginia-based group aims to
      support non-traditional relationships.

      The ITCR conference will be held August 24-26 at the
      Doubletree Hotel in Tyson�s Corner, VA. Attendees of
      the �Building Bridges� conference will explore the
      integration of spirituality and sexuality, according to a
      spokesperson for the organization.

      Chi Rho Press continues to explore new marketing
      strategies and ways to exhibit its resources at regional
      conferences such as the one organized by ITCR.

      �We are very pleased to have ITCR�s help,� says Chi Rho
      Press Director R. Adam DeBaugh. �We wish them the very
      best for a successful conference.�

      For more information about ITCR, visit its Web site at
      http://www.lovethatworks.org

      3. New Meditation Mailings

      We started a new weekly mailing on July 30 as a gift
      to you from Chi Rho Press. Each Sunday night or Monday
      we will send our Chi Rho Connection subscribers a
      selection from 'The Road to Emmaus.'

      One of our most popular and successful books, 'The
      Road to Emmaus,' a collection of daily meditations, was
      published in 1989 by Emmaus Press. Chi Rho Press
      director Adam DeBaugh was on the board of directors of
      Emmaus House of Prayer and Emmaus Press. When Emmaus
      Press went out of business, Chi Rho Press became the
      exclusive distributor of 'The Road to Emmaus.'

      This excellent volume contains a Gospel reading and a
      meditation based on it for every day of the year. The
      meditations were written by LGBT Christians and
      supporters from a wide variety of backgrounds and
      traditions. Authors include the late Rev. Larry Uhrig,
      Fr. Bob Nugent, Sister Jeannine Gramick, Dr. Joseph
      Houle, Rev. Kathy Baker, Adam DeBaugh, Dr. Louis F.
      Kavar, Jack Pantaleo, Rev. Dusty Pruitt, Rev. Andy
      Sidden, Virginia Miles, and Sarah Fershee. 'The Road
      to Emmaus' has been discounted for sale at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com to $9.95 each, six or more
      copies for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling.

      We hope you are nurtured and blessed by these weekly
      reflections and will feel moved to pass them on to
      your friends and family.

      4. Become a Guardian Angel

      Chi Rho Press is looking for Guardian Angels: individuals,
      couples, or families who will become sponsors of the Press
      and more involved as partners in this ministry.

      This program is part of our vision of ecumenical, grass roots
      ministry enabling individuals, couples, and families
      to become part of Chi Rho Press. The goal of the Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program is to raise enough in
      sponsorships to move our Editor/Office Manager to full
      time and to enable us to publish additional books each year.

      We are inviting you to become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho
      Press. A few Guardian Angels have already taken Chi Rho
      Press under their wings. Please help us today. And pass
      this on to your friends and family and ask for their help
      as well!

      Guardian Angels will

      1. Receive a 'welcome gift' of a Stained Glass Cross as
      a thank you for your support.

      2. Be eligible for a 7.5% discount on all purchases from
      Chi Rho Press that you make.

      3. Be listed as a Guardian Angel Sponsor in Chi Rho Press
      publications, press releases, eNewsletters, and on the Web
      page.

      4. Get a subscription to a new Newsletter just for
      Sponsors.

      5. Receive an annual report prepared just for Sponsors.

      6. Be informed about advance sales of publications from
      Chi Rho Press.

      7. And of course, you will remain in our prayers!

      And what do we ask from our Guardian Angels in return?
      Only three things,

      1. Please keep the ministry of Chi Rho Press in your
      prayers.

      2. A gift of at least $150 a year to Chi Rho Press
      from individuals, couples, or families.

      3. Keep your friends, family, co-workers, and churches
      informed about the resources available from Chi Rho
      Press, our Web page, and our eNewsletter.

      That's it. For just $150 a year, you can become a
      Guardian Angel Sponsor of this growing publishing house,
      serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and
      seeking community of faith. Chi Rho Press is reaching
      people with resources that are not available anywhere
      else, resources that are made especially for our LGBT
      community.

      'Even though we have managed to keep the costs of this
      special ministry very low, we need your support to grow
      and to expand our outreach. Won't you help?' asks Board
      member Steve Barchers.

      Simply send your check for at least $150 to Chi Rho Press,
      ATTN: Guardian Angel Program, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898. If you have specific questions about the Guardian
      Angel Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Thank you for your support!

      5. Call for Submissions

      Stacy Bias is soliciting lesbian nonfiction stories for
      �Love at First Site: True Stories of Lesbian Internet
      Romance,� to be published by Alyson Publications in
      Autumn 2002.

      TechnoDyke.com founder and publisher Stacy Bias is
      seeking romantic real-life stories about women hooking
      up on the Net. Have you had a unique romantic experience
      with another woman you met online? Did you travel
      cross-country to meet the babe of your dreams? Are
      you still together after all this time? If so, Alyson
      Publications wants to hear about it! Writers will be
      paid and receive 2 copies of the anthology upon
      publication. As you write, please try to answer some
      or all of the following questions:

      1) Who was your partner? How did you meet her? In
      a chat room? Through an online personals ad? Via some
      other online method?

      2) How long did you correspond before meeting each other
      in real life?

      3) Was this your first lesbian experience/attraction?
      Was it hers?

      4) How did she match up to your expectations once you
      met in person? Did you match up to her expectations?

      5) Did you become intimate with each other? Did it
      develop into a relationship?

      6) Are you still together now? If not, do you still
      continue to meet women on the Internet?

      Submission Deadline: October 15, 2001

      Write Stacy Bias at firstsite@... for submission
      guidelines and other information.

      We hope you will take part of the tax refund being sent to
      you this summer and become a Guardian Angel Sponsor of Chi
      Rho Press. We have heard from our first Guardian Angels
      and hope you prayerfully consider joining them. We need
      your help to continue this ministry!

      **********

      Please keep Press Board member Ronald DeVrou in your
      prayers. Ronald fell and broke his collarbone last week.
      He is recuperating at home. Ronald has been an important
      and valuable member of our Board of Directors for many
      years.

      Though he had to miss our Board meeting Saturday, we were
      able to have dinner Saturday night (Chinese take-away in
      Ronald�s apartment!) and have a good visit. Please
      remember Ronald in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

      **********

      I will be teaching a beginners stained glass class at
      Holy Redeemer MCC, College Park, MD, on Saturday, 15
      September at 10 am. Each participant will have the
      opportunity to make a small piece of stained glass, a
      sun catcher like a cross or other design. Another
      larger work in progress will be there on the site for
      people to see and even work on. The cost will be $5.00
      to cover the cost of materials. If you are in the
      Maryland or DC area and would like to sign up, please
      write me at Adam@....

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@.... To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@.... For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....