Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 29, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 29, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html

      A Holocaust Museum reflection

      A Psalm of David, when he fled from his son
      Absalom. "O Lord, how many are my foes!
      Many are rising against me."
      Psalm 3:1

      We know racism and anti-Semitism kills, but
      did you know homophobia is just as deadly?
      Years ago, I toured the Holocaust museum in
      Washington D.C. Throughout the museum, Nazi
      concentration camp survivors proudly wore
      their yellow Star of David while interacting
      with visitors. More than six million Jews
      had been exterminated in Hitler's death
      camps in World War Two. These survivors
      were rightfully determined to tell their
      stories to the world, so the horrific
      lessons of history would never again be
      repeated.

      The museum honored other concentration camp
      victims as well, including numerous exhibits
      honoring the many thousands of homosexuals
      forced to wear the pink triangle by Hitler.
      They were also brutally tortured and
      annihilated. The Holocaust museum has
      wisely acknowledged that the world must
      know homophobia is as deadly as anti-
      Semitism and racism. The museum presents
      the stories of gay and lesbian victims with
      respect and dignity.

      I am deeply grateful for the Holocaust's
      museum efforts to present these stories,
      for many history books are often silenced
      by overt, legalized secular and religious
      homophobia. In some countries even today,
      gay and lesbian citizens are arrested,
      brutalized, tortured, executed, or murdered
      while the authorities look the other way.

      Gay or straight, Jewish or Gentile, we share
      a common God who delights in human diversity.
      We are one family on earth. God grieves when
      people hate and kill others who are different.
      Whatever our sexual orientation and religious
      background, today's Psalm offers us God's
      comfort in the face of hatred, danger, and
      overwhelming odds against our survival.
      Psalm 3 offers us a stepping stone to God
      when enemies outnumber us and when they
      gleefully insist God will not hear or answer
      our prayers. Whether we are gay or straight,
      with the psalmist we are assured God will
      forever be our shield. God will answer us.

      So have a good night's rest, pray for justice,
      and whenever possible, use your voice to
      raise public awareness of the deadly effects
      homophobia has on the world.

      God, we praise you who made all people different,
      yet alike. We pray for the day when homophobia
      will be globally recognized as the deadly evil
      it is. We pray for the day when the lives and
      deaths of gay and lesbian victims, murdered in
      Hitler's concentration camps, will be honorably
      recorded in all history books. Hasten the day
      when the pink triangle will be universally
      recognized as a sign of courage and honor.