Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 15, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 15, 2009

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at

      Lost and found

      "So Jesus told them this parable: 'Which one of you,
      having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does
      not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go
      after the one that is lost until he finds it? When
      he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and
      rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together
      his friends and neighbours, saying to them, "Rejoice
      with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost."
      Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven
      over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine
      righteous people who need no repentance.'"
      Luke 15:3-7

      Though I am an urban woman and am not personally
      acquainted with sheep, I do understand the terror
      and vulnerability of being lost. While living in
      Washington D.C., I once saw an unforgettable
      example of such fear through the eyes of a small
      child. In a large crowd one night during a
      Christmas event in the city, a little boy who was
      about three or four years old became separated
      from his family. It quickly became obvious that
      he was terrified of being lost and equally
      terrified of strangers. When strangers attempted
      to befriend him, he would back away and try and
      hide in the crowds. Soon a policeman arrived on
      the scene and the little fellow visibly relaxed
      and placed his small hand in the officer's large
      one. Together, they began walking hand-in-hand
      in search for his parents and disappeared into
      the crowd.

      Soon a frantic mother came in search of her lost
      child. She urgently and repeatedly called out his
      name and asked complete strangers if they had seen
      her little boy. "Yes," said one woman, "He went
      with a policeman," and she pointed in the general
      direction. Suddenly the police officer reappeared.
      The little boy saw his mother and stopped sobbing.
      He threw himself into her arms and she held him
      tightly in obvious relief. Even today, I have
      tears in my eyes with the memory of those two
      clinging to each other. The lost child was found.
      The worried crowd became joyful, for many had been
      concerned over the little child.

      And so it is in heaven, as Jesus the Good Shepherd
      finds each of us in divine love. There is exuberant
      joy in heaven when we are found. The Shepherd's
      heart is full of compassion and will not be satisfied
      until we are found and brought back into loving,
      intimate community and personal relationship with
      God. Today's parable in Luke brings us the Gospel
      message of Jesus Christ in its most basic simplicity.

      I have a cherished pencil sketch of Jesus in my study.
      He is lovingly holding a lamb in his arms. The lamb
      has a look of trust and contentment. The nail marks
      are clearly visible on the hands of the Good Shepherd.
      We are invited into those loving arms.

      Searching Shepherd of our souls, thank you for finding
      us. From time to time, we have all strayed from your
      presence like a lost lamb. Now help us experience the
      joy of being found by God. Amen.