Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 8, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 8, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html.
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html.

      The beautiful mind of Christ

      "Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ
      Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God,
      did not regard equality with God as something
      to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking
      the form of a slave, being born in human likeness.
      And being found in human form, he humbled himself
      and became obedient to the point of death -- even
      death on a cross.

      Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him
      the name that is above every name, so that at the
      name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven
      and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue
      should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the
      glory of God the Father."
      Philippians 2:5-11

      What is on your mind today? My beloved grandmother
      often remarked that if our true thoughts were ever
      known, most of us would probably be arrested. The
      mind may forever be a mystery to scientists and
      physicians, as they strive to understand the
      origins of human behaviors and find cures for
      mental illnesses. Certain thoughts can be harmful
      to others and ourselves, if we act on them.

      As a minister, I often ask people what they are
      thinking. Whether we share our thoughts
      selectively or freely with others, I believe
      people of faith need to cultivate the mind of
      Christ, for as we think, we often become.

      Today's Bible verses offer us insight into the
      mind of Christ, through the words of an early
      hymn of the Christian church. Because first
      century Christians lacked easy access to written
      materials about Christ, and many were illiterate,
      singing hymns helped them grow stronger in their
      faith, while passing on the truths of the Gospel
      to others. Countless generations of faithful
      believers have been strengthened through this
      particular hymn of praise, singing it in many
      different forms and chants, in their search to
      understand and experience the beautiful mind
      of Jesus. Perhaps you too, have sung some of
      these phrases, "every knee shall bow, every
      tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord."

      Now who among us can understand the mind of
      God? Our finite minds will never fully grasp
      the beautiful mind of Christ on this side of
      eternity. But today's Bible passage helps.
      Although Jesus has always coexisted with the
      Creator as an equal part of the Godhead, he
      willingly humbled himself to walk among us
      in human form. Christ voluntarily gave up
      his heavenly privilege, glory, and comfort,
      to share human hardships while confronting
      evil. He took upon himself the lowliest
      servant lifestyle imaginable, working as an
      impoverished carpenter, living in relative
      obscurity. He chose to work with his hands
      in rough, menial labor and eat peasant food.
      But there is more to his story. Jesus was
      ever mindful of God's plan for his life,
      knowing he was destined to die a shameful,
      horrific death on a cross for the sins of the
      entire world. Because of Jesus' willingness
      to suffer and die, God has forever exalted
      the name of Jesus Christ above all other
      names in the world. While other religions
      have much to teach us, it is only the name
      of Jesus that will someday bring us all to
      our knees in adoration, uniting our voices
      in praises to our Creator. Every knee shall
      bow, every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ
      is Lord.

      My mind is nowhere near the mind of Christ.
      With you, I struggle with less than noble
      thoughts. As a sinful humanity, we have
      self-serving thoughts and ambitions, often
      at the expense of others. But here is the
      hope of the Gospel, as I understand it.
      Through prayer, familiarization with the
      scriptures, and cultivating a lifestyle
      of worship, we can experience in part, the
      beautiful mind of Christ. We can become
      less selfish and arrogant, while growing
      ever more loving and thoughtful of others.
      The mind of Christ transforms, redeems, and
      reconciles us with God. Truly, this is
      something to sing about.

      Oh God, give us the beautiful mind of Christ
      and transform our ways of thinking and
      interacting with people. Empower us to
      think his thoughts in safety and in danger,
      in comfort and privation, in life and death.