Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 1, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 1, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html.
      Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html.

      Anyone, everyone, whosoever, and all

      November 1 is All Saints Day
      "For God so loved the world that God gave his
      only Son, so that everyone who believes in the
      Christ may not perish but may have eternal
      life."
      John 3:16

      After spending seven months in the Gospel of
      Matthew, it is now time to broaden our horizons.
      Today I want introduce you to John 3:16, quite
      possibly the most famous verse in the entire
      Bible, and the story of Nicodemus.

      John 3:16 is also the most misunderstood verse
      in the entire Bible when well-intentioned people
      of faith put limitations and conditions on its
      message. I want you to know these twenty-eight
      words are for anyone, everyone, whosoever, and
      all who believe them. Let me emphasize God's
      great love for humankind, and the promise of
      eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ, is
      not limited to a particular sexual orientation,
      race, nationality, class, or gender. When Jesus
      offers God's promises to everyone, he means just
      that.

      Whoever we may be, we all owe Nicodemus a debt
      of gratitude for his courage in approaching
      Jesus. Nicodemus was a prominent and well-
      respected Jewish leader, acutely aware that
      his career would be jeopardized if he were
      seen alone with Jesus. At great personal
      risk, he sought Jesus out for a private,
      late night interview. Jesus graciously agreed
      to meet with him and the two rabbis spoke long
      into the early morning hours. During their
      conversation, Jesus spoke these wonderful
      words of life now known as John 3:16 to
      Nicodemus, affirming God's great love for the
      world while explaining that eternal life is
      freely available for anyone who would believe
      in the message of Jesus.

      In my study, I have some beautiful pencil
      sketches of Jesus by an unknown artist. In
      one of these simple drawings, Jesus is tenderly
      holding a wee newborn. In another, he is
      joyfully holding the hands of a very young
      child taking its first steps. The other
      sketches reveal Jesus laughing and playing,
      listening and gently holding children of
      various ages.

      With Nicodemus, we need to birth our holy
      longings and live as children of God, trusting
      Jesus every step of the way. With Jesus, we
      can begin taking baby steps of faith towards
      spiritual adulthood and maturity. No matter
      what our age, when we believe in the message
      of Jesus, we will always find Jesus nearby,
      giving us guidance and strength for each day.

      Yes, it is true. Jesus freely and unconditionally
      offers himself to anyone, everyone, whosoever,
      and all. Gay or straight, young or old, male
      or female, rich or poor, single or partnered,
      John 3:16 is for you.

      God, thank you for offering eternal life to
      anyone, everyone, whosoever, and all who
      believe in Jesus Christ. Through the story
      of Nicodemus, help us experience your great
      love for us with a childlike faith. Amen.