Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 25, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 25, 2009

      **********

      The 2009-2010 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      has been published! Please check it out and order
      yours at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa09_10.html. Also take a look at a lovely new
      2010 Garden Wall Calendar from Open Door MCC at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/ODMCC_Calendar.html.

      Ultimate authority

      "And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in
      heaven and on earth has been given to me.'"
      Matthew 28:18

      In the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist
      attacks, many prayers were said in many faiths and
      in many languages during that time of global grief.
      As someone who is committed to respectful interfaith
      dialogue and ministry, I began speaking about this
      tragedy as a distinctly Christian minister. I
      realized all our voices were needed to offer solace
      and comfort to a grieving and shocked nation and
      world where thousands of different world religions
      struggle to coexist peacefully.

      In the difficult days immediately following
      September 11, my personal faith in Jesus Christ
      was what sustained and encouraged me. As the
      rubble from the World Trade Center buildings and
      Pentagon gradually settled, I found myself
      frequently on line gazing into the eyes of a
      beloved Russian icon painted in Svenigorod, Russia,
      by the famous fifteenth century artist Andrei Rublev.
      It was the compassionate face of Christ, the
      Peacemaker.

      To gaze into this beautiful face is to see the face
      of God, a face that war, injustice, hatred, betrayal,
      and violence cannot remove from our world. To look
      into the compassionate eyes of this icon is to
      experience the kindness and unlimited goodness and
      love of God. It is a face full of love and strength,
      courage and comfort. It is a holy face that reminds
      us of God's deep compassion for a suffering humanity.
      It is a sacred face worthy of contemplation for
      Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists.

      In a religiously pluralistic world full of competing
      voices calling for your allegiance, what faith
      sustains you in times of chaos and pain? What
      divine authority do you answer to and call on for
      help? Consider trusting Jesus Christ as your ultimate
      authority, and you will find direction, strength,
      solace, courage, and hope in your times of need.

      God, bless us with renewed faith and trust in Jesus
      Christ. Teach us how to live under Christ's divine
      authority, leadership, and guidance in our daily
      lives. Amen.