Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 20, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 20, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      The parable of the ten virgins

      Jesus said, "Then the kingdom of heaven will be
      like this. Ten bridesmaids took their lamps and
      went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were
      foolish, and five were wise. When the foolish
      took their lamps, they took no oil with them; but
      the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As
      the bridegroom was delayed, all of them became
      drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a
      shout, 'Look! Here is the bridegroom! Come out
      to meet him.' Then all those bridesmaids got up
      and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the
      wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are
      going out.' But the wise replied, 'No! There will
      not be enough for you and for us; you had better
      go to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.'
      And while they went to buy it, the bridegroom
      came, and those who were ready went with him into
      the wedding banquet; and the door was shut. Later
      the other bridesmaids came also, saying, 'Lord,
      lord, open to us.' But he replied, 'Truly I tell
      you, I do not know you.' Keep awake therefore,
      for you know neither the day nor the hour."
      Matthew 25:1-13

      Are we wise, alert, and prepared? Or are we
      foolish and unprepared? Today we need honest
      self-discernment to understand this lesson about
      the kingdom of heaven.

      It is a disturbing parable for the latecomers who
      miss the wedding feast and find the door closed in
      their faces. The doorkeeper has these chilling
      words for the foolish virgins, "I tell you the
      truth, I do not know you." F. F. Bruce notes in
      The Hard Sayings of Jesus that the ten virgins did
      not appear to have been bridesmaids or even specially
      invited guests. He suggests they were local village
      girls who decided to form a torchlight procession
      and escort the bridegroom and his party to the house
      where the wedding feast was to be held. They knew
      if they did, there would be a place at the feast for
      them, where they could share the good cheer. Even
      today centuries later, there are parts of the world
      where a wedding feast is a public occasion for the
      neighborhood. All who come will find a welcome and
      something to eat and drink.

      There was no time announced for the event. Some of
      the waiting women were wise and brought extra oil
      for their lamps. Others were foolish and unprepared.
      Those who had prepared did not share their oil supply
      with the foolish ones. Those refused entry to the
      wedding banquet returned to their homes in the dark,
      tired and disappointed.

      All the oil was good while it lasted, but not
      everyone prepared enough for tomorrow's needs.
      We cannot always rely on yesterday's experiences
      of grace. We must be prepared and watchful every
      day. Times of testing come without warning. Will
      we be prepared and wise? Or will we be foolish?
      So it will be when Christ returns for the second
      time. We do not know the day or the hour.

      God, Jesus had a reason for teaching this parable.
      Bless my understanding and help me live more alertly
      today. Amen.