Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 30, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 30, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      The prostitutes

      Jesus taught this parable, "What do you think? A
      man had two sons; and he went to the first and said,
      'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.' And the
      son answered, 'I will not'; but afterward he
      repented and went. And the father went to the
      second and said the same; and he answered, 'I go,
      sir,' but did not go. Which of the two did the
      will of his father?" They said, "The first."
      Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, the tax
      collectors and the harlots go into the kingdom of
      God before you. For John came to you in the way
      of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but
      the tax collectors and the harlots believed him;
      and even when you saw it, you did not afterward
      repent and believe him."
      Matthew 21:28-32

      The religious leaders who had been debating with
      Jesus were probably very unhappy with this
      conversation! While the truth hurts, it also
      instructs. Our cherished religions can sometimes
      prevent or limit us from experiencing and sharing
      God's incredible spiritual generosity and
      hospitality.

      "God has no religion," said Mahatma Gandhi. Jesus
      did not seem to promote any particular religion.
      He did however, preach and teach the radical
      lifestyle and spiritual revolution of the inclusive
      kingdom of God. The religious leaders of his day
      overwhelmingly rejected his teachings. Jesus was
      pushing their boundaries. His God was too big for
      them to fathom in their rigid religion.

      This was also the message of John the Baptist, get
      ready for this amazing realm of God to come, repent
      and turn from your sins, believe and be baptized,
      follow Jesus Christ, realize you are not worthy to
      even untie his shoes, become a follower (disciple)
      of Jesus.

      The despised, marginalized, outcasts, and common
      people heard Jesus gladly. Jesus confronted the
      "religious right" of his day with this amazing
      truth. Sometimes the rowdy, irreverent,
      rambunctious, and rejected sinners are more
      spiritually receptive than the rigidly religious
      to God's grace and mercy. Many such people become
      eager disciples of Jesus and are grateful for being
      included and welcomed into the realm of God. God's
      family is inclusive and welcoming.

      Is this the kind of heaven you want to enter?
      Imagine being in heaven full of such companions
      for eternity. Imagine being in the realm of God
      where people of all sexual orientations love and
      care for each other. Imagine living in heaven
      with former prostitutes as your neighbors.
      Imagine God's delight to see us all living
      harmoniously together as the body of Christ.

      Imagine both irreverent and reverent people
      becoming devoted followers of Jesus Christ.

      God, I too, want to experience your grace and
      mercy along with the prostitutes and tax
      collectors as a devoted follower of Jesus
      Christ. Amen.