Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 9, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 9, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      Mustard seed faith

      "When they came to the crowd, a man came to him,
      knelt before him, and said, 'Lord, have mercy on
      my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers
      terribly; he often falls into the fire and often
      into the water. And I brought him to your
      disciples, but they could not cure him.' Jesus
      answered, 'You faithless and perverse generation,
      how much longer must I be with you? How much
      longer must I put up with you? Bring him here
      to me.' And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it
      came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly.
      Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and
      said, 'Why could we not cast it out?' He said
      to them, 'Because of your little faith. For
      truly I tell you, if you have faith the size
      of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain,
      "Move from here to there," and it will move; and
      nothing will be impossible for you.'" \
      Matthew 17:14-21

      I have known people who have actually lost their
      faith in God through these verses. They too,
      have knelt in prayer while asking Jesus for
      mercy and healing. They have diligently
      prepared themselves to receive a miracle. They
      have worked to have the faith of a mustard seed.
      They think, if they believe enough, God will heal
      them, for nothing is impossible for the faith-
      filled. Then upon awakening in the morning,
      they are still sick and unhealed. They become
      bitter at God and disillusioned with the promises
      of Christ.

      So what is this all about? What did it mean at
      the time of this miracle and what does this story
      mean for us today? How do we understand and apply
      something of value to our daily lives?

      We often overlook what has just happened. James,
      John, and Peter just had a mountaintop experience
      with Jesus. Jesus had specifically chosen these
      three over the others. We do not know why only
      three were chosen and the others left behind with
      the impatient crowd.

      The disciples who were left behind were doing the
      best they could while Jesus was gone. They tried
      to share what Jesus had given them to the crowd.
      The desperate father wanted his child healed.
      Perhaps he did not have faith that the disciples
      could heal without Jesus being present. Perhaps
      the disgruntled disciples who had been left behind
      did not have faith either. The crowd wanted Jesus,
      not the disciples. Jesus was the famed and trusted
      miracle worker from God.

      After Jesus heals the child with a word, the
      disciples approach Jesus privately and demand
      answers for their lack of power. And Jesus tells
      them the truth. Their faith was too small. Their
      faith was smaller than even a mustard seed, the
      smallest known seed. Without Jesus, they could
      do nothing. With deeper faith, they could move
      mountains.

      I believe in miracles. Yet I do not have a gift
      for healing epileptic children. Is my faith too
      little? Sometimes it is. I forget God is big
      and generous. I forget the other miracles in
      daily life. I forget that there is no such thing
      as a little prayer. I forget about previously
      answered prayers for healing that are too
      numerous to count.

      But God cannot be manipulated. God's timing may
      not be ours. And sometimes we do not have the
      eyes of faith to see the true spiritual healing
      we are given.

      God, give us this mustard seed faith. Amen.