Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 12, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Dr. Louis F.
      Kavar.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      John 3:22-36

      Today's passage places us in the middle of a significant
      controversy concerning the role of the purification rite
      of baptism in the life of the first-century Jewish
      community. In this passage, the controversy between the
      disciples of John the Baptist and an unnamed Jew arises
      because of confusion concerning the relationship between
      the baptism of John and the baptism of Jesus' disciples.

      John responds to the confusion and controversy
      deliberately and insightfully, saying that although he
      has been called to play a unique and special role, he
      has not been called to do everything.

      John is able to see clearly the place of both his own
      ministry and that of Jesus within the cosmic order:
      Jesus' ministry must increase, while John's must
      decrease. John has plumbed the depths and dimensions
      of his call and knows that it is enough for him to be
      where he is. He is content, and he sees no need to
      take on those things which he is really not called to
      do.

      In the same way, we are reminded that each of us has
      been called to do something unique and special, and
      that we are called and gifted in different ways. This
      does not diminish the worth of any of us, it simply
      makes each of us special. John is an example for each
      of us to emulate in recognizing and fulfilling his or
      her own call while remaining free of anxiety or
      jealousy about the gifts and missions of others.

      Spirit of God, you have called me and gifted me in
      special and unique ways. Teach me how precious is the
      mission you have given me. Enable me to be faithful
      and content through your leading. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com