Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 19, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 19, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      New and old treasures

      Jesus asked, "'Have you understood all this?' They
      said to him, 'Yes.' And he said to them, 'Therefore
      every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of
      heaven is like a householder who brings out of his
      treasure what is new and what is old.'"
      Matthew 13:51-52

      One commentary suggests these verses specifically
      referred to the Jewish teachers of the law during
      the time of Jesus. The teachers had been trained
      in the ancient Hebrew scriptures. With the kingdom
      of heaven teachings of Jesus, they had now been
      given new treasure. Perhaps that is correct. Yet
      I think there is also something for us in the twenty-
      first century. This is a teaching for all who chose
      to follow Jesus.

      "To acquire knowledge, one must study." The Gospels
      are worth our time and effort to study. They bring
      us spiritual treasure. So I offer this insight.
      Accept it if you can. As we read about the kingdom
      of heaven through the Gospels, we are blessed with
      new spiritual wealth. Each of us can informally
      teach others in different areas of our lives. As
      we live, work, converse, share ideas and insights,
      these wonderful words of life in the Gospels can
      bring relevance to our world.

      Listed in the Guinness Book of World Records Hall
      of Fame under "Highest IQ," popular columnist of
      Parade Magazine and noted host of the weekly "Ask
      Marilyn" segment for CBS television evening news
      in New York, Marilyn Vos Savant offers this profound
      insight for us, "[T]o acquire wisdom, one must
      observe" (found on http://quotationspage.com/subjects/wisdom/
      quoting from http://askmarilyn.com). If you desire
      wisdom, observe the life of Christ in addition to
      studying his words. Jesus walked his talk. He
      led by example. Jesus never asked his followers
      to do what he himself was unwilling to do.

      Knowledge and wisdom can be ours. All of us are
      offered spiritual treasures through reading the
      Gospels.

      God, fill our storehouses with your treasures.
      Help us generously share our spiritual wealth
      with others. Amen.