Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 7, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 7, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      Spiritual paralysis

      "And after getting into a boat Jesus crossed the
      water and came to his own town. And just then
      some people were carrying a paralysed man lying
      on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said
      to the paralytic, 'Take heart, son; your sins
      are forgiven.'"
      Matthew 9:1-2

      I suspect the man's paralysis is a spiritual
      metaphor for all of us. Everyone has missed
      the mark (sinned) somewhere in life. Probably
      we have felt frozen with guilt and remorse,
      anger and frustration, regret and other feelings.
      Perhaps we have become spiritually paralyzed
      through sins of omission and those sins
      intentionally committed. All of us have
      sinned. Only Jesus is the sinless one.
      Only God is perfect.

      Another powerful story of Jesus the Healer,
      recorded in Matthew 9:1-8, Mark 2:3-12, and
      Luke 5:18-26, is a story about spiritual
      paralysis, faith, sin, forgiveness, and hope.
      This liberating tale can transform our
      perspectives and our lives.

      In today's story, these remarkable friends
      earnestly believed Jesus would heal their
      companion. They awkwardly carried him to
      the Healer. When Jesus saw their faith, he
      said to the paralytic, "Be encouraged, child,
      your sins are forgiven." The religious leaders
      of the day were outraged. Only God could
      forgive sins. According to Orthodox Jewish
      law, Jesus was blaspheming. This offense
      was worthy of death.

      We see yet another new picture of Jesus.
      Nature obeys him, but he can also read our
      human thoughts and hearts. He reads the
      minds of the critical teachers of the law.
      He confronts them with spiritual questions.
      Then he proves his authority to forgive sins
      through healing the paralytic and tells him
      to get up, pick up his mat, and go home.
      The paralytic springs to his feet, a new man
      in Christ! And the crowds marvel in awe.
      They praised God who had given such
      astonishing authority to Jesus.

      Where are we in this story? Are we the
      paralyzed, the faith-filled friends, the
      astonished crowd, or the disciples? Or
      are we so deeply religious that we cannot
      see the power of Christ with fresh eyes?
      Where have we missed the mark in our lives
      and experienced spiritual paralysis?

      God, show us where we are spiritually
      paralyzed and heal us. Amen.