Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 29, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2001
      is a meditation from �The Road to Emmaus,� a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by the late Rev.
      Harold Joseph Burris and Dr. Joseph H. Houle.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Mark 6:1-13

      What are things like when you return home to your family?
      You have changed in the months and years since you were
      there last, but are the homefolks still locked in your
      yesterday? This is exactly what happened to Jesus. The
      local boy, now the man of Galilee, was not taken
      seriously by those who had known him as a child. It does
      not appear that they failed to recognize his wisdom or to
      marvel at his ministry of healing; it seems rather that
      they could not reconcile this new Jesus with the
      carpenter�s son whom they had known. In their minds
      they had control over the carpenter�s son, but this new
      Jesus was another matter.

      Some people would brood and become distraught at such a
      situation. Jesus simply turned to the new family of God
      emerging around him. He did not dwell on the unbelief of
      his townspeople, but at once �he went about among the
      villages teaching.� And he �called the twelve, and began
      to send them out two by two.� In other words, he forged
      ahead with God�s call on his energies and his life, for
      he had not returned home to surrender his ministry. He
      used the callous reception to expand his vision to a
      broader outreach to the world.

      What are things like when you return home to your family?
      Sometimes the homefolks will not accept our growing and
      changing into our true identities. When that is the case,
      we have two choices: we can revert to our childhood selves
      and be accepted as children, or we can continue the
      process of becoming all that God intended us to be, even
      at the risk of losing family and community support.

      The reward for a decision to be true to ourselves is a new
      family of God, an expanded vision of ourselves and our
      world, and a deeper peace. In time it becomes clear that
      sacrificing our childhood identity is a price worth paying
      in order to have lives in which we are truly at home with
      God, with ourselves, and with others.

      Jesus, help me to be true to God�s call on my life as you
      were true to God�s call on your life, even if it means the
      loss of my family�s or my community�s support.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com