Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 10, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 10, 2009

      Practical prayers

      "Give us this day our daily bread."
      Matthew 6:11

      Jesus is concerned about hunger, both spiritual
      and physical. "Not mine, but ours everybody's.
      Our responsibility to the starving world is
      implicit in [the Lord's Prayer]. As long as
      any part of the body is hungry, the entire body
      knows starvation," writes Madeleine L'Engle
      (L'Engle, Madeleine; "Glimpses of Grace," p.
      62.). She suggests we simply do what we can,
      offering our small loaves and fishes and leaving
      the rest to God. We are to offer what we have
      with compassion. In praying this request, we
      are praying for those who hunger in all parts
      of the world, for the hungry in our neighborhoods,
      and for nourishment for ourselves.

      We live in a desperately hungry world. According
      to the United Nations World Hunger Programme,
      hunger afflicts one of every seven people on
      earth. The UN's vision is for a hunger-free
      world. They believe there is enough food in
      the world today for every man, woman, and child.
      But tragically, there are 24,000 deaths from
      starvation daily. More than 800 million go to
      bed hungry every night. More than 50 million
      suffer from acute hunger. A child dies every
      eight seconds from malnutrition-related
      complications. There are many fine charitable
      groups dedicated to relieving world hunger, but
      the World Hunger Programme feeds most of the
      world's refugees and internally displaced
      peoples (www.thehungersite.com).

      As followers of Christ, we must be concerned
      with local, national, and international hunger.
      A significant number of homeless and troubled
      youth live in my town. Members of a community
      outreach organization bring them free food
      throughout the week. The community food bank
      is always looking for donations. Local
      businesses periodically have food drives.
      And I know plenty of struggling students with
      limited budgets who would deeply appreciate a
      home cooked meal. I also know of youth groups
      and Sunday school groups who give up meals to
      help raise money for the hungry. There are
      abundant opportunities to share food with
      hungry people.

      But there are also many other creative ways to
      help those who hunger and raise awareness for
      the starving. I was completely unaware of the
      desperate circumstances of Zimbabwe until a
      dedicated Christian physician living in that
      country contacted me by e-mail. Starvation
      was their main problem and her country was
      facing one of the worst food deficits the
      world has yet to experience. Knowing that
      I had written other devotional material, she
      asked if I would prayerfully write "some
      encouraging words about God's love for Zimbabwe
      and her people." She would then distribute
      these meditations via e-mail, nationally to
      Christians in Zimbabwe and to her colleagues
      throughout Africa.

      With some trepidation, I agreed to her request
      and suggested the meditations be titled, "To
      Zimbabwe with Love." (These meditations may
      be found at http://soulfoodministry.org/docs/English/ZimLoveIntro.htm).

      I cannot cure world hunger, but I can be more
      mindful of those around me who hunger daily
      and offer my small gifts. I can pray more
      compassionately for those who lack food for
      today.

      God, give us today our daily bread. Amen.