Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 3, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 3, 2009

      An eye for an eye

      Jesus taught, "You have heard that it was said,
      'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'
      But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil.
      But if any one strikes you on the right cheek,
      turn to him the other also; and if any one would
      sue you and take your coat, let him have your
      cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go
      one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him
      who begs from you, and do not refuse him who
      would borrow from you."
      Matthew 5:38-42

      Once again Jesus is prescribing a course of
      action that simply does not come naturally to
      us. Jesus' teaching is a standard for
      Christians of all sexual orientations. Jesus'
      is the most demanding lifestyle we can imagine.
      It is more difficult than living up to the
      standards of Moses. At least according to
      Moses, one could seek an eye for an eye, and
      a tooth for a tooth as compensation (Exodus
      21:24).

      F. F. Bruce wisely notes this limited excessive
      retaliation and bloodshed in primitive Jewish
      culture. Gandhi understood this is not limited
      to ancient Jewish culture. He once said if
      everyone lived by an eye for an eye mentality,
      the world would soon be full of blind people.

      But Jesus takes us one step farther. And this
      is a hard saying. We are not to seek vengeance.
      We are not to retaliate. We are not to harbor
      a spirit of resentment. We are to be willing
      to go the extra mile and be inconvenienced.
      We are to have the mind of Christ. This is
      extremely countercultural and humanly difficult,
      if not impossible. God will give us strength.

      Is this teaching relevant for our twenty-first
      century lives? Is it just for our personal
      behavior? Are we to use this principle for
      entire nations and communities? Is there a
      single "Christian" answer? How are we to live
      our lives with this teaching of Jesus Christ?
      So many questions and so few clear answers.

      God, you need to help us with this teaching.
      It is very difficult to follow.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLivingAsTheBelove
      d.htm