Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 26, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 26, 2009

      Rejoice and be glad

      Jesus said, "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward
      is great in heaven, for in the same way they
      persecuted the prophets who were before you."
      Matthew 5:12

      Jesus taught many things about heavenly rewards.
      Our suffering is never wasted. God sees and cares.
      God will honor our pain in the hereafter. I do
      not pretend to understand it, but heavenly reward
      is a promise from the Teacher. We are not blessed
      for doing evil. We are blessed and rewarded by
      God when we suffer for doing the Beatitudes. God
      is compassionate and concerned. We will be given
      what we need in our hour of need. We stand in a
      great spiritual tradition of others that have gone
      before us and suffered for doing right.

      The Bible includes many examples of persecuted
      prophets. Some are described in Hebrews 11.
      Over the centuries, some were tortured, mocked,
      flogged, chained, and jailed. Others were stoned
      to death, sawn in two, and suffered death through
      other violent and malicious deeds. We are told
      the world was not worthy of them.

      Divine justice is not easy to understand.
      Following Jesus (discipleship) through living
      the Beatitudes can bring us joy through suffering.
      Rejoice and be glad. Another New Testament writer
      puts it this way, "Be always joyful, pray
      continually, give thanks whatever happens" (1
      Thessalonians 5:16-18).

      God, I do not pretend to fully understand your
      ways. Help me to understand both the joy and
      the suffering in my life. Help me rejoice and
      be glad.