Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 12, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 12, 2009

      Repentance

      "From that time Jesus began to proclaim, 'Repent,
      for the kingdom of heaven has come near.'"
      Matthew 4:17a

      Immediately after Jesus finished his great temptation
      experience in the wilderness, he received some bad
      news. His cousin, John the Baptist had been put in
      prison. John's message was a powerful one which
      called both the religious and irreligious to the
      repentance of sins, and for changed lives. He was
      blunt and spoke his truth boldly. He called crowds
      of people to prepare for Jesus, God's called and
      special One who would save people from their sins.
      John deeply offended many powerful people as he
      named their sins. He was jailed for his words and
      would later be executed for them. John refused to
      compromise his message from God.

      I find it interesting that Jesus immediately began
      preaching a message of repentance. Repentance has
      always been dangerous and unpopular. It takes
      courage to look within and be honest with God.
      We need to come to God for mercy. God is righteous
      and utterly good. Sin is the opposite of God's
      goodness, love, and mercy. As we continue reading
      the gospels, we will find Jesus is a friend of
      sinners. He offers us divine forgiveness. Jesus
      traces sin to the human heart and challenges us on
      the sins of neglect, good left undone, and our unused
      talents; our insensitivities and lack of compassion
      towards others, and all the sins against love. Sin
      is also anything that will not let us trust God's
      goodness, or revere God's name, or love God wholly.

      A Prayer of Confession: "Forgive them all, O Lord:
      our sins of omission and our sins of commission;
      the sins of our youth and the sins of our riper
      years; the sins of our souls and the sins of our
      bodies; our secret and our more open sins; our sins
      of ignorance and surprise, and our more deliberate
      and presumptuous sins; the sins we have done to
      please others; the sins we know and remember, and
      the sins we have forgotten; the sins we have striven
      to hide from others and the sins by which we have
      made others offend; forgive them, O Lord, forgive
      them all." Amen.
      (Attributed to John Wesley.)