Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 5, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 5, 2009

      The Baptism of Jesus

      "And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came
      up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened
      to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like
      a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from
      heaven said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved,* with
      whom I am well pleased.'"
      Matthew 3:16-17

      We are given a picture of the spiritual humility
      of Jesus. Jesus insisted John baptize him as a
      symbol of consecration to God, thus beginning
      his public ministry. Immediately after being
      baptized, the Holy Spirit landed on Jesus in the
      form of a dove. A voice from heaven called out,
      "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well
      pleased."

      John was a prophet, sent to prepare the way for
      his cousin, Jesus. He called people to confess
      their sins and then be baptized. Many seekers,
      including Pharisees and Sadducees, came to where
      John was baptizing. According to Matthew's Gospel,
      John the Baptist was baptizing in the river Jordan.
      John was preaching a message of repentance. John
      spoke bluntly and let it be clearly known that
      someone listening to him was God's greatest
      spiritual leader. John understood he was not
      worthy to even loosen the sandals of Jesus. John
      would only baptize with water, but taught that
      Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with
      fire.

      Now people may disagree on the fine points of
      baptism. Some would baptize infants and children.
      Other churches may refuse to do this while
      insisting on "believers baptism" only. Certain
      churches insist on a number of baptism classes
      and issue a certificate afterwards. Others will
      baptize you on the spot during a church service.
      Each claims the authority of scripture as the
      basis of their practice. Welcome to the great
      diversity in the Christian church. Jesus was
      baptized as an adult. Later on in the book of
      Acts, we see entire families baptized. Both in
      my opinion are fine and worthy of divine blessing.

      If you have never been baptized as a Christian,
      consider it. Jesus did it. It will be a source
      of blessing for you. Or perhaps you have been
      baptized as a child and do not remember it.
      Consider reaffirming your baptism through your
      local church. Whether infant, child, adult,
      immersed, or sprinkled, baptism is a spiritual
      sacrament for us to consider. Baptism is part
      of discipleship.

      God, help me consecrate my life to you anew
      this day. Amen.

      God, give me your blessing. Help me live as your
      anointed one. Amen.