Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 29, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 4:21 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 29, 2009

      God's blessing cup

      "You prepare a table before me in the presence of
      my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup
      overflows."
      Psalm 23:5

      Psalm 23 is the most beloved psalm. It never
      ceases to amaze me in hospitals and hospices,
      to feel these powerful and comforting words as
      someone is dying. Even those who have never
      attended a religious institution of any kind
      seem to know the words. But Psalm 23 is also
      for the living! Psalm 23 is for all the days
      of our lives, the good, the bad, the beautiful,
      and the difficult. Psalm 23 is a great confession
      of faith when we wonder where God is.

      I will always remember preaching a sermon based
      on Psalm 23 the Sunday after the 1999 massacre
      at Columbine High School. Two students had shot,
      killed, and maimed a number of their classmates
      without warning earlier that week. That Sunday,
      people needed to hear these words and be reminded
      of God's blessing cup during moments of danger,
      fear, and despair. During the worship service,
      I passed a blessing cup with oil for personal
      anointing during the sermon. People dipped
      their fingers into the cup, and touched their
      hearts and foreheads with the sign of the cross.
      Parents even anointed their little children.

      We are invited to the Shepherd's table to live
      as beloved and anointed people. We are offered
      God's blessing cup of healing oil. The cup
      offers us simple abundance, goodness, and mercy
      all the days of our lives. God is actually
      eager to provide for us and lavish us with
      spiritual hospitality and generosity. God
      delights to provide for us when we are
      surrounded by those who wish us harm. Even
      in impending danger, our Shepherd Host spreads
      out a table for us. Our anointing oil is
      refreshing, soothing, and harmonizing with
      the gracious host hospitality of ancient times.
      We are welcomed into the home of God. The cup
      is a blessing offered to everyone.

      One of the most empowering things we can do in
      our life is to claim our blessing and bless others.
      Will you allow yourself a moment for God's blessing
      today? Have you ever considered anointing yourself
      while using a blessing cup? It is easy to do and
      can become a cherished family tradition. If you
      have never been blessed by your family, blessing
      yourself may begin deep spiritual healing. You
      are God's blessing to the world. You are of high
      value. Your life is important. God yearns to
      bless you, even if your families were unable to
      bless you.

      God, give me your blessing. Help me live as your
      anointed one. Amen.