Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 1, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 1, 2009

      God bless you

      "And God blessed them" (the humans God had created).
      Genesis 1:28a

      Many people are surprised to learn that the first
      chapter of the Bible offers a number of creation
      blessings (Genesis 1:22, 28). While many debate
      the creation versus evolution theory, the opening
      chapter in Genesis simply reads, "In the beginning
      . . . God created . . . and it was very good"
      (Genesis 1:31). By the power of the spoken Word,
      chaos became order and the formless void evolved
      into a beautiful and perfect creation.

      God has a wonderful, creative, and playful mind
      and imagination. God was enormously pleased with
      creation. We read again and again that "God saw
      that it was good" (Genesis 1:4, 10, 12, 18, 21,
      25, 31). The earth was full of diversity and
      unlimited variety of living things.

      At the end of creation, God decided to create
      people in the divine image with meaningful work
      as stewards of the earth. And God blessed them.
      The first chapter about the first days closes
      with this statement, "God saw everything that
      had been made, and indeed, it was very good"
      (Genesis 1:31). I personally believe this
      blessing is for people of all sexual orientations.
      No one is excluded. The divine blessing embraces
      all races and all people.

      Blessing is a widespread biblical practice.
      Its most basic meaning is to speak well of
      someone with praise and happiness. Blessing
      is actually mentioned 640 times in the Bible,
      most commonly found in Genesis, Deuteronomy,
      and the Psalms. The Old Testament teaches us
      the language of blessing.

      Blessing is empowerment. Cursing is destructive.
      The ancients understood this. We, as modern
      twenty-first century people, would be wise to
      learn from their wisdom.

      God, please renew our personal sense of
      blessing. Amen.