Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 22, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 22, 2009

      Start with 30 seconds

      "A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep
      silence, and a time to speak."
      Ecclesiastes 3:7

      "Silence is the great revelation."
      Lao-tse

      Attaining silence is not easy. Anthony De Mello
      writes about the riches of silence in his book
      "Sadhana: A Way to God." He suggests ten full
      minutes of pure silence are needed to experience
      profound insight. Many people discover to their
      amazement that they are not accustomed to inner
      silence. No matter what we do, it is hard to
      still the wanderings of our mind or quiet the
      emotional turmoil inside. Others might panic
      with inner silence. Do not be discouraged or
      frightened. Even our wandering thoughts are
      a revelation. If remaining silent for ten
      minutes is too difficult, start with thirty
      seconds. Build a foundation.

      Even two minutes of daily silence can help us
      build and grow into increased self-awareness.
      Silence reveals our very self to us. Money
      cannot buy what the silence will reveal.
      Wisdom, serenity, joy, and perhaps even a
      sense of the sacred will be ours.

      Silence takes work. We must have a comfortable
      posture. Close your eyes. Do not expect
      anything sensational. Do not seek anything
      at all. Simply observe and take in everything
      that comes to your awareness, no matter how
      trite and ordinary. The important thing is to
      be aware. As we become accustomed to silence,
      the quality of our silence will improve and
      our silence will deepen. Revelation is a
      mysterious power that can transform us.

      God, give me golden moments of silence today.