Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 15, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 15, 2009

      Body prayers

      "But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
      will enter your house, I will bow down towards your
      holy temple in awe of you."
      Psalm 5:7

      We stretch for exercise, and prayer is no different.
      Easy movements help us warm up and stretch our
      praying muscles. We can move our bodies through
      space in simple, symbolic movements that enhance
      rather than hinder our awareness of the Holy.

      Try walking with several intentional slow and
      deliberate steps. Stand in your bare feet for
      a few minutes in a prayer corner or on a prayer
      rug. Take some easy, deeper, and slower than
      usual breaths while sitting comfortably. By
      taking several minutes during our busy days for
      prayerful movements, we can center and relax our
      spirits. Prayerful movements can help us live in
      the moment gratefully aware of our bodies. If we
      feel a tense part of our body, stop a moment and
      acknowledge it. Relax those muscles. Tense,
      breathe, and relax several times.

      Consider using meaningful gestures such as
      touching, bowing, smiling, genuflecting,
      handshaking, or lighting a candle to help
      center your spirit and focus. Simple hand
      postures can greatly assist us. Try sitting
      with your hands and arms open, resting your
      hands palms up on your upper thighs or lap.
      These simple practices help us unite our mind
      and body. They help us be holy and wholly
      present to our spiritual center.

      Consider placing your hands together in the
      universal prayer posture. Breathe quietly in
      stillness for a full minute. Listen to your
      body at rest.

      Teach me how to pray with my body, O God,
      beginning with the miracle of every breath.
      Grace my prayers today with unexpected moments
      of stillness and body awareness. Amen.