Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 1, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 1, 2009

      What is a Gospel?

      "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ,
      the Son of God."
      Mark 1:1

      One Sunday after I had just preached, a member
      of the church board of directors quietly
      approached me with a question. "Excuse me,"
      he said, obviously embarrassed. "But what is
      a Gospel?" I had referred to the Gospel a
      number of times during my sermon. He had no
      idea what I meant. Could I please explain?

      I suddenly realized if he had this profound
      question, so did many others. He was a well-
      respected leader in the church. He was
      extremely well informed regarding human
      rights and other justice issues, but he did
      not know what the Gospel was, despite serving
      in a key church leadership position.

      Like many other ministers, I had made some
      assumptions based on years of experience in
      the ordained ministry. I assumed listeners
      in church would know what the word "Gospel"
      meant. I was wrong in my assumptions. About
      half of the adult population in the USA also
      do not know the answer. They have never
      heard of the Sermon on the Mount and do not
      understand what Christians celebrate on Easter
      (Hunter III, George G. "How to Reach Secular
      People," pp 44-45.) e Bible stories in the
      Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are
      unknown treasures. The citation "John 3:16"
      means nothing to them.

      The word "Gospel" comes from the Greek word
      evangel. It means "good news." The Gospels
      bring us good news in a world often full of
      bad news. They have amazing spiritual power.
      Reading them can help us begin to love and
      trust God. They are full of stories about
      spiritual hospitality and generosity. These
      stories offer us wonderful words of life.

      Try a ninety-day adventure with God in the
      months ahead. Consider reading a chapter
      per day in the Gospels. By doing this, you
      can easily read them in their entirety in
      eighty-nine days. They are full of stories
      about love and hate, trust and betrayal,
      life and death, miracles and more. "Come
      and see" (John 1: 39) for yourself. God
      will bless your readings. On the ninetieth
      day, consider taking a personal retreat day.
      Reflect on how the Gospels have helped your
      spiritual life and enhanced your understanding
      of God. Consider reading other books in the
      Bible. They will change your life with words
      of spiritual empowerment.

      God, it would be great to have some good news
      in a world so full of bad news. Help us be
      spiritually empowered by reading these amazing
      Gospel stories.