Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 25, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 25, 2009

      Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ

      Peter said, "Can anyone withhold the water for
      baptizing these people who have received the
      Holy Spirit just as we have?"
      Acts 10:47

      Baptism can be a controversial subject in many
      Christian churches. As a child, I was taught
      that only believers could be baptized. While
      in seminary, however, I changed denominations
      and was rather shocked to learn my new church
      affirmed and honored the practice of infant
      baptism. Clearly I had a great deal to learn
      and learn quickly. Over the years I have come
      to cherish these baptismal opportunities.

      As my ministerial understanding grew and deepened,
      I realized God blesses Christian baptism for gay,
      lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people of
      faith too. But not all Christian churches or
      denominations would agree with this understanding.
      As a result, it is sometimes more difficult for
      these pilgrims to become church members and
      receive baptism for themselves and their
      children. And so once again, I found myself
      changing to a Christian denomination that would
      allow me to baptize them in the name of Jesus
      Christ.

      I clearly remember one lesbian couple and their
      search for a welcoming church after they adopted
      a beautiful baby boy in a small town in Virginia.
      I had been invited to preach at a Metropolitan
      Community Church (MCC) in their town. This small
      church had faithfully struggled without a pastor
      for the past two years and was using a variety
      of visiting pastors like me.

      This young family had recently discovered this
      MCC and wished to have their infant son baptized.
      They wanted to have him grow up in the church,
      hearing the wonderful Bible stories and
      experiencing the community of faith. They
      had been searching for a church home and for
      a pastor to baptize and bless their child.
      The church called and asked if I would consider
      baptizing the child. The mother and I then
      began a series of telephone conversations about
      infant baptism and church membership.

      God chose us to come together for a divine
      appointment. God honored this faithful small
      church with a child needing baptism. They were
      now entrusted with the next generation. It was
      obvious to me that the Holy Spirit was active
      in the lives of these eager parents. I felt
      honored to bless, baptize, and welcome this
      child and his parents into the Christian church.

      The Internet can often be a very helpful place
      to locate gay friendly churches and spirituality
      resources. Three helpful Web sites to begin your
      search and to learn more about this growing,
      global movement are www.wow2k.org, www.mccchurch.org,
      and www.christianlesbians.com.

      Come Holy Spirit. Linger in our hearts and
      teach us about this growing, global voice of
      faith among gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
      transgendered Christians. Guide our prayers
      today. Amen.