Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 18, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 18, 2009

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is out and available on the Chi Rho Press Web site.
      Please read about it and order it at
      The cost is $12.95 each, and $10.50 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      Trust God

      "O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put
      to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me."
      Psalm 25:2

      "I think I believe in God," confided a gay man,
      "but I don't trust God." I listened prayerfully
      as he continued to share painful experiences
      from past "Bible bashing" by well-intentioned,
      homophobic Christians. The Bible had been
      frequently used as a weapon against him. He
      was reluctant to use it as a spiritual resource.
      His spiritual injuries were soul deep.

      Many people have spiritual injuries. Perhaps
      we were abused as children or adults. Many of
      us have been betrayed, disappointed, and
      disillusioned by life. Life is difficult and
      sometimes enormously unfair. But it can also
      be incredibly beautiful, fulfilling, and

      Whatever our life situation or sexual orientation
      may be, the Psalms are prayers that have stood
      the test of time. They are good for our souls
      and full of soul food. They give us the language
      of prayer. The Psalms empower our prayer life,
      equipping and energizing our honest heart to
      heart conversations with God. The Psalms help
      us with words when we are speechless and have
      feelings too deep for words.

      The Psalms are completely non-homophobic. The
      primary author was King David. David was
      passionately in love with a man named Jonathan.
      He loved Jonathan with a depth and passion that
      surpassed the love of women. These written
      prayers are safe for all people. Praying them
      can help us begin our own conversations with
      God. As we linger in conversation, trust will
      gradually grow. As trust grows, love will
      deepen. We can both trust and love God with
      all our hearts and souls, secret dreams and
      hopes, hurts and disappointments.

      The Psalms give us prayers from the heart.
      People from all walks of life have found in
      the Psalms words of faith, hope, and love as
      they struggled to pray. If you have never
      read the Psalms before, consider an adventure
      with God in the year ahead. There are 150
      Psalms that give us words for prayer, words of
      praise, lament, anger, and confession of sin
      and great statements of faith. Try reading
      one a day. Before the year is half over, you
      will have read the entire prayer collection.
      In praying them, you will find God is enough.
      God is trustworthy. God is faithful. God is
      with us everywhere. God knows when we sit,
      stand, speak, and are silent. God cares.
      God helps. God rescues.

      God, help us trust you anew this year. Help
      us have many wonderful conversations with you.