Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 16

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 16

      �We've all been misunderstood. We've all been made fun
      of. But I'm not going to allow people who don't like me
      to rent space in my brain.� Tammy Faye Messner (yes,
      formerly Tammy Faye Bakker) speaking to 2001 Pridefest
      in Tampa, FL.

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please
      visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see
      our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas, and
      stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. We Have a Winner!
      2. Become a Guardian Angel
      3. Stonewall Society Raves About Steps
      4. To Norfolk Next
      5. Adam's Last Word: Resident Bush and the Salvation
      Wehrmacht, How to Spend your Tax Refund, and Summer,
      Stained Glass, and Changes

      1. We Have a Winner!

      An entry submitted by Heather Owens, of Alexandria, VA,
      was selected by the Chi Rho Press Board of Directors as
      the winner of our Name the eNewsletter Contest.
      Heather's suggestion was Chi Rho Connection and that is
      what you are reading now! Heather gets to choose any
      one item from our on-line catalog as her prize!
      Congratulations, Heather!

      Heather is �a writer/editor and aspiring book writer,� she
      says. She attends both MCC Northern Virginia and MCC
      Baltimore.

      And many thanks to all the people who sent in suggestions.
      It was a difficult decision to make. We like Heather�s
      suggestion because the whole purpose of our eNewsletter
      is to make connections with our supporters. We also like
      the little bit of alliteration. (grin) Remember Chi Rho
      is pronounced �ki row,� with a hard c and a long i, to
      rhyme with tie.

      Our name comes from the two Greek letters. Chi (which
      looks an X) is the 22nd letter in the Greek alphabet.
      Rho (which looks like a P) is the 17th letter. They are
      the first two letters in the Greek word kristos, which
      means Christ. Historically the Chi Rho monogram has been
      a familiar symbol of Christ. Because we are a Christian
      publishing house serving the LGBT community we chose the
      name Chi Rho Press and the monogram of the two Greek
      letters to emphasize our Christian roots and ministry.

      Welcome to the Chi Rho Connection! We hope this
      eNewsletter will continue to be a blessing to you.

      2. Become a Guardian Angel

      Chi Rho Press is looking for Guardian Angels, individuals,
      couples, or families who will become sponsors of the Press
      and more involved as partners in this ministry.

      Our vision of ecumenical, grass roots ministry really
      takes hold with the implementation of the Guardian Angel
      Individual Sponsor Program.

      The goal is to enable individuals, couples, and families
      to become Sponsors of Chi Rho Press. We are implementing
      this program today!

      We are inviting you to become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho
      Press!

      Guardian Angels will

      1. Receive a �welcome gift� of a Stained Glass Cross as
      a thank you for your support.

      2. Be eligible for a 7.5% discount on all purchases from
      Chi Rho Press that you make.

      3. Be listed as a Guardian Angel Sponsor in Chi Rho Press
      publications, press releases, eNewsletters, and on the Web
      page.

      4. Get a subscription to a new Newsletter just for
      Sponsors.

      5. Receive an annual report prepared just for Sponsors.

      6. Be informed about advance sales of publications from
      Chi Rho Press.

      7. And of course, you will remain in our prayers!

      And what do we ask from our Guardian Angels in return?
      Only three things,

      1. Please keep the ministry of Chi Rho Press in your
      prayers.

      2. A grant of at least $150 a year to Chi Rho Press
      from individuals, couples, or families.

      3. Keep your friends, family, co-workers, and churches
      informed about the resources available from Chi Rho
      Press, our Web page, and our eNewsletter.

      That�s it. For just $150 a year, you can become a
      Guardian Angel Sponsor of this growing publishing house,
      serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and
      seeking community of faith. Chi Rho Press is reaching
      people with resources that are not available anywhere
      else, resources that are made especially for our LGBT
      community.

      �Even though we have managed to keep the costs of this
      special ministry very low, we need your support to grow
      and to expand our outreach. Won�t you help?� asks Board
      member Steve Barchers.

      This program is now in place and we have welcomed our
      first Guardian Angels already. Please join us!

      Simply send your check for at least $150 to Chi Rho Press,
      ATTN: Guardian Angel Program, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898. If you have specific questions about the Guardian
      Angel Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Thank you for your support!

      3. Stonewall Society Raves About Steps

      From the Stonewall Society Web site, Equal Pride, Vol.
      II, Issue 6, �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse,� by
      Dr. Rembert S. Truluck. Review By Codi.
      http://www.stonewallsociety.com/EqualPride/ep19RembertTruluck.htm

      I have always felt that when choosing a 'name' for any
      project, one should strive to make a choice, which is
      self-explanatory. Dr. Rembert Truluck has achieved
      that and much more. This book is, as stated, a resource
      for anyone who has experienced 'Bible Abuse.' It is also
      a resource for those wishing to end such abuses as in;
      parents, teachers, ministers, and just your everyday
      person. Formatted and referenced well for quick resource,
      �Steps To Recovery From Bible Abuse� also works quite well
      as front to back reading material.

      Dr. Truluck challenges, enlightens, and even amuses while
      bringing a clearer understanding of how we are abused.
      His interpretations are based on accurate translations and
      a good grasp of Biblical timing, history, and social
      dynamics. This is well thought out work, not just another
      attempt to offer �our� version of religious theories.
      At the center of this premise is that Jesus Christ came
      to heal sick religions. That certainly places a whole
      new view and interpretation of many of Christ�s teachings.
      This theory is backed up by on the mark examples. For
      instance, when Jesus ejects the vendors from the temple,
      that Christ was more likely to meet with a small group
      than large crowds.

      Going into its second print, 'Steps To Recovery From Bible
      Abuse� is strong material, which I believe will be a
      foundation for religious reform. I must stress, this
      is not a painful read nor activity. Several of our
      �reviewers� were let�s say less than anxious to tackle
      Dr. Truluck�s work. Why? I believe intimidation and
      possible disappointment with other attempts to reconcile
      religious issues to be the core reasons. What Dr.
      Truluck has achieved is an understandable and believable
      answer to an old problem. Plainly stated, man is the
      problem here and our �interpretation� of his Word - the
      Bible. Especially those all too much heard �six
      examples.� While we as a community seek change, we are
      not necessarily the first in line to make changes. The
      mere title of the book tells you that you will be changed
      by reading this material. An accepted fact, people are
      afraid of change. I found that change to be a very
      positive one. Refreshing, yes challenging, and I firmly
      believe long lasting.

      I agree with Dr. Truluck that anyone who has suffered from
      �Bible Abuse� should take the time to read this material.
      The benefits are amazing. However, I have found this to
      be an excellent resource for those wishing to better
      understand the Christian religion as well. In all areas
      the resource strength of �Steps To Recovery From Bible
      Abuse� is unbridled. Whether you are looking for personal
      answers or seeking to establish a group to discuss and
      understand the issues, the answers are all here. The
      steps themselves take you through a healing and
      understanding process in logical and beneficial order, as
      Dr. Truluck establishes actual plans for group meetings.
      The lessons are rewarding for both individual study or
      with a group.

      This will without a doubt be one of the most reached for
      books in my library. I have already found myself doing
      so not just to address �Bible Abuse� but in other areas.
      One of Dr. Truluck�s statements had a profound effect.
      �Never underestimate the destructive power of ignorance.�
      Easy to relate to when thinking about �their� ignorance.
      But what about our own and the damage we do to ourselves
      for buying into that ignorance? We must see that ignorance
      is correctable, and only a negative when we knowingly
      accept our ignorance for fact. Thank you Dr. Rembert
      Truluck, for your efforts in bringing this information
      not just to our community, but to the community of man.
      This book has the ability to help many within and outside
      of our community. Whether you seek answers for yourself,
      for another, or just general understanding, this is a must
      reference.

      For more information on Dr. Truluck, �Steps To Recovery
      From Bible Abuse,� and to get your own copy visit his
      website! http://www.truluck.com To order a
      copy of the book, go to http://www.ChiRhoPress.com .

      4. To Norfolk Next

      The Rev. Marty Luna and the Rev. Maria Wolfe will welcome
      the Chi Rho Press Traveling Bookstore to New Life
      Metropolitan Community Church in Norfolk, VA on July 21
      and 22. The church meets at 10:30 am at 4035 East Ocean
      View Ave., Norfolk, VA. http://www.newlifemcc.org/

      Sept. 23, MCC Richmond, VA tentatively planned.

      Nov. 25, Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA tentatively planned.

      More information about up-coming visits will be in
      future editions of the Chi Rho Connection.

      5. Adam's Last Word Resident Bush and the Salvation
      Wehrmacht, How to Spend your Tax Refund, and Summer,
      Stained Glass, and Changes

      By now you have no doubt heard the brouhaha about Resident
      George W. Bush�s callous willingness to circumvent local
      and state civil rights legislation in order to solidify
      support of the Salvation Army for his so-called faith-based
      initiative program. That the Resident of the White House
      would stoop this low is terrible, though frankly I am not
      surprised that W would be willing to so cavalierly throw
      away our rights.

      Given the past record of the Salvation Army, it shouldn�t
      be surprising that they were a willing partner of this
      infamy. But I still cling to the hope that Christians
      will behave in a Christ-like manner I know, it is a
      foolish expectation, but I still hope.

      Obviously, the Salvation Army, the Wehrmacht of
      Christianity, should be a target of the Saints of
      Soulforce. But we can ALL protest the Salvation Army�s
      bigotry and intolerance.

      Salvation Army bell ringers are a familiar sight in many
      places around Christmas time. We urge you to bypass the
      red kettles of the Salvation Wehrmacht next Christmas.
      Chi Rho Press Editor Kevin Stone Fries urges us, �Don�t
      Give in to Bigotry.� Despite the good works that throwing
      your spare change in the Salvation Army�s buckets might
      do, we are cooperating with bigotry and hatred when we
      give to them. There are lots of LGBT-friendly charities
      to support!

      We should also start now, by telling our favorite stores
      where the Salvation Wehrmacht sets up its buckets that we
      will not enter them this Christmas if the Salvation Army
      is outside.

      Kevin is right: Don�t Give in to Bigotry. Boycott the
      Salvation Wehrmacht.

      **********

      And if you really want to upset Resident Bush, why don�t
      you take part of the tax refund being sent to you this
      summer and become a Guardian Angel Sponsor of Chi Rho
      Press.

      Send a letter to Resident Bush telling him to what good
      works you are putting his tax refund. I can see it now:
      �Dear Mr. Bush, Thanks for the check! I am using part
      of the tax refund you pushed through Congress to support
      Lesbian and Gay civil rights.�

      I wonder if he will be pleased? I think not!

      **********

      The weather has been beautiful this week in Maryland.
      Warm, but not too hot, lovely clear blue skies, balmy
      breezes. Luckily the more moderate temperatures have
      made our third floor offices a good deal more tolerable
      for Kevin. We are looking into an additional air
      conditioner, so he doesn�t melt completely all away.

      I have been working on some stained glass lately. I have
      committed to four panels for my home church, Holy Redeemer
      MCC, College Park, MD. Only one is finished, the Holy
      Spirit window, but I am making good progress on the second,
      which is a Communion window complete with chalice, bread,
      and grapes. One of our board members is also my pastor,
      the Rev. Clay Witt, so he is keeping my feet to the fire
      about the stained glass!

      There are lots of new things going on at Chi Rho Press.
      A new name for this eNewsletter. Many thanks, Heather!
      And the new Guardian Angel individual sponsor program.
      Kevin and I are hoping that many of our readers will want
      to become Guardian Angels. In a couple of weeks, we
      should have a space on our Web page to make these
      contributions with your credit card, but until then, please
      send us your checks or money orders.

      We both hope you will become our Guardian Angels. Please
      send us a check today!

      In any case, however you show your support for the ministry
      of Chi Rho Press, we thank you and pray for you all. Have
      a great July!

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of the Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com/. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@.... To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@.... For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our
      Web page or through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, Odessa,
      ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail:
      mailto:mapenterprises@...; phone or fax:
      1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)
      1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....