Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 28, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 28, 2008

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is out and available on the Chi Rho Press Web site.
      Please read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html.
      The cost is $12.95 each, and $10.50 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      Growing in wisdom and grace

      "And Jesus' father and his mother marveled at
      what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them
      and said to Mary his mother, 'Behold, this child
      is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel,
      and for a sign that is spoken against (and a sword
      will pierce through your own soul also), that
      thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.'
      And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter
      of Phan'u-el, of the tribe of Asher; she was of
      a great age, having lived with her husband seven
      years from her virginity, and as a widow till she
      was eighty-four. She did not depart from the
      temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night
      and day. And coming up at that very hour she gave
      thanks to God, and spoke of him to all who were
      looking for the redemption of Jerusalem. And
      when they had performed everything according to
      the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee,
      to their own city, Nazareth. And the child Jesus
      grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and
      the favor of God was upon him."
      Luke 2:33-40

      Today's passage provides a glimmer of insight about
      the childhood of Jesus. From the first moments of
      his conception and birth, his parents marveled at
      what was said about him. From birth, complete and
      total strangers blessed their baby boy publicly.
      People excitedly told others about this remarkable
      child, such as the shepherds, the foreign and
      strange Magi from afar (Matthew 2:1-12), and the
      very old devout Simeon and Anna in the temple.
      Jesus was blessed, affirmed, celebrated, and
      marveled at by all patiently awaiting the long
      expected Messiah. The grace of God was clearly
      upon him.

      Simeon both blessed and prophesied about this
      amazing child. He specifically told Mary that
      one day a sword would pierce her heart. In other
      words, Jesus would break her heart. Anna, who
      was also a very old and wise prophetess,
      immediately identified the Christ child as an
      historic and revolutionary person sent from God.
      Both elders spoke to many worshippers in the
      temple about the child, Jesus.

      We do know that Mary and Joseph returned to their
      hometown, Nazareth. There they raised Jesus as a
      devout, orthodox Jewish son. Jesus grew up and
      became strong, filled with wisdom, and God's grace
      was evident upon him. He was blessed from
      conception, birth, child dedication, and childhood.
      He could reach his full potential because he was
      loved, blessed, valued, and cherished.

      Many people live in search of their blessing.
      Often their parents have never given it to them.
      As a result, their children often spend their
      lives seeking affirmation and belonging,
      sometimes in the wrong places. Families are
      not easy to live with. Sometimes we break each
      other's hearts. All children need parental
      blessing to thrive.

      Perhaps you have never felt parental blessing.
      Some parents are incapable of blessing their
      children. I have noticed over the years that
      the most painful thing a parent can say is, "I
      wish you had never been born." I have seen tears
      come to people's eyes when I have said, "God
      bless you."

      Out of the same mouth comes blessings and cursing.
      Choose to bless. Blessings beget blessings. God
      bless you.

      God, bless us, each and every one. Bless us daily.
      Bless our loved ones. Teach us how to bless others
      and grow in the wisdom and grace of young Jesus.