Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 21, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 21, 2008

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is out and available on the Chi Rho Press Web site.
      Please read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html.
      The cost is $12.95 each, and $10.50 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      Depend on God.

      Mary said, "'God has shown strength with his arm;
      and has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their
      hearts. God has brought down the powerful from their
      thrones, and lifted up the lowly; God has filled the
      hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.
      God has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of
      his mercy, according to the promise he made to our
      ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants for
      ever.' And Mary remained with Elizabeth for about
      three months and then returned to her home."
      Luke 1:51-56

      We can depend on God. God is enough. God is
      generous. God's ways are certainly not our ways,
      but God's faithfulness extends from generation to
      generation. Mary spoke with timeless wisdom. God
      will never leave or forsake us.

      Her thoughtful and spiritually mature reflection
      helps us remember that God cares, sees, and listens.
      God responds and gets personally involved in our
      lives. God scatters the arrogant and lifts up the
      lowly. God fills the hungry and sends the rich
      away empty. God is a God who keeps divine
      promises.

      As Christmas draws closer, remember Mary's words
      while shopping for gifts or taking our children
      to see Santa Claus. Christmas is so much more
      than trees and presents. Christmas is about
      God's mighty deeds through Jesus Christ, the
      babe in the manger. Christmas invites us to
      linger in Bethlehem and be with this remarkable
      child, God in a diaper.

      Reflect on today's verses and let the Spirit of
      God bless your meditations. Listen to the still,
      often very quiet voice of God in your heart. As
      you do, you will better hear the outside voices
      clamoring for your attention. Center on Christ
      alone. You will be deeply blessed.

      God, thank you for caring for the poor, the
      humble, and the hungry. Thank you for being
      dependable and just. Thank you for being our
      God. Amen.