Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 7, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Dec. 7, 2008

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is out and available on the Chi Rho Press Web site.
      Please read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html.
      The cost is $12.95 each, and $10.50 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      Remember Pearl Harbor

      "God the Lord, is my strength; God makes my feet
      like the feet of a deer, and makes me tread upon
      the heights."
      Habakkuk 3:19

      Remember Pearl Harbor! How could I forget? My
      beloved Grandmother's birthday was December 7.
      She and my grandfather had been celebrating her
      birthday at their home with a circle of new
      American friends. The radio happened to be on
      and one of the guests heard the horrible news
      of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in
      Hawai'i. The party celebrations stopped as
      everyone gathered around the radio in horror
      and dismay. All of the party guests were
      immigrants to this new country. Many had
      sons who would soon be drafted and go to war.
      Some would not return. My uncle was one of
      those lucky enough to come home with minimal
      war wounds. He also came back from England
      with a lovely bride.

      I remember both the Pearl Harbor stories and
      my dearly beloved Grandmother. She left a
      wonderful legacy for all her grandchildren.
      She taught us about life. We get sick, have
      accidents, and lose people we love through
      death. She encouraged us to live our dreams.
      It was her own dream for a better life in
      the United States of America, which gave
      her the courage to leave her beloved Norway,
      her family, and friends. Through her
      courageous living, she showed us how to live
      with strength and hope in the darkest of times.

      Sooner or later, all of us will feel powerless,
      faint, fatigued, and weary. Old and young,
      male and female, we all become exhausted and
      may be too tired to even move. Sometimes life
      brings too many obstacles, difficulties, and
      heartaches. There are times when we are doing
      far too much, for too long, with too little rest.

      Yet, my Grandmother taught me that God wants to
      give us amazing strength. In adversity and
      prosperity, let God be your strength.

      Be my amazing strength in adversity and
      prosperity, God. Help me remember that when
      I feel weakest, your strength will always be
      sufficient for me. Amen.