Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Nov. 30, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Nov. 30, 2008

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is out and available on the Chi Rho Press Web site.
      Please read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html.
      The cost is $12.95 each, and $10.50 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      Faith and works

      "So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead."
      James 2:17

      Faith without works is a dead faith. Yes, we are
      saved by faith alone. But talk is cheap and we
      must put our words into action. God expects us
      to change the world. We must both walk the walk,
      and talk the talk of faith. As followers of Jesus,
      we are to bring a bit of heaven on earth against
      the forces of hell. We are not allowed the luxury
      of indifference or passivity. This holy activism
      is for all Christians, gay and straight.

      Historically, critics such as Frederick Nietzsche
      (1844-1900) and Karl Marx (1818-1883) have had a
      very low opinion of Christianity. Nietzsche
      believed Christian faith made people act in a
      cowardly manner, by teaching them to passively
      accept whatever happened in their world as God's
      will. This discouraged efforts by religious
      people to change the world. Marx was no kinder
      in his criticism. He went so far as to say
      religion was the "opiate of the people." In
      his opinion, the Christian faith drugged people
      into passivity and escapism, thereby preventing
      them from rising against their oppressors.

      I disagree strongly with Nietzsche and Marx. I
      believe faith inspires ordinary people to live
      extraordinary lives. There are many heroes
      among us, serving as activists against poverty
      and injustice, fighting indifference and hatred,
      as they walk their walk of faith. Throughout
      history, many people of faith have even suffered
      harsh consequences of following their conscience.
      But they joyfully chose to live their faith, even
      when and if it brought them into harm's way.

      As contemporary followers of Christ, we are not
      allowed the luxury of looking the other way when
      we see evil and the face of suffering. Our
      silence and lack of activism condones physical
      and spiritual violence of all kinds. We have a
      holy obligation to stop prejudice and oppression,
      as well as to feed the hungry.

      Whether we are gay or straight, Christian faith
      should motivate us to make a difference in our
      world. If you are not making a difference, take
      time to reexamine your faith today. Ask God for
      a new heart of compassion, a renewed passion for
      justice, and the courage to live out your faith.
      May your blessed faith be a stimulus for action,
      rather than a religious drug lulling you into
      passivity and escapism, when encountering the
      world around you.

      God, renew and revive our faith in Jesus Christ.
      Inspire us to make a difference in the world for
      Jesus' sake. Bless our holy activism through the
      power of your Holy Spirit. Amen.