Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IX, No. 8

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2008

      Vol. IX, No. 8

      1. New 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar!
      2. May We Suggest Stained Glass?
      3. Special for Churches
      4. A Third Openly Gay Member of the US Congress

      1. New 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar!

      The new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is out!
      The new Church Year starts with the first Sunday in
      Advent, November 30, 2008. Chi Rho Press’ annual
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for 2008-2009 is
      back from the printer and ready to ship.

      The NEW 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      Year B is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may
      view it and order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle of the church year.
      Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful
      information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church. It is intended for use by pastors,
      musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological students,
      and anyone using the Church Year as a basis for worship
      or education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x
      11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent)
      with alternative descriptions where appropriate.
      The Revised Common Lectionary readings, including
      a brief summary of each reading. (These are intended
      as only a very brief overview to identify general
      themes as an aid to worship planning. We do not
      represent them as anything approaching a thorough
      exegesis.)

      The First Reading is usually from the Hebrew Testament,
      but there are exceptions, such as the use of readings
      from Acts during the Easter season. These are sometimes
      selected thematically to fit the Liturgical Calendar,
      but often are simply being read through key passages
      over a series of weeks. This is followed by a Response,
      usually a Psalm. The Epistle Reading is next, like the
      Hebrew Testament Reading typically a series of key
      passages from the same book being read over a number
      of weeks. Finally the Gospel Reading follows the story
      of Jesus through the Christmas and Easter cycles, plus
      the teachings of Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section called "Worship Planning." This
      includes suggestions for decorations or symbols for
      special seasons, such as Advent wreaths; the
      liturgical color for the day; etc.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship
      Planning section, which serve to explain in more
      detail information about the time of the church
      year, provide resources for further study and
      information, and develop liturgical themes to make
      your worship experience more rich and meaningful.

      Then comes a section called "Special Events," which
      includes any special events occurring that day or that
      week that you may wish to commemorate, such as World
      AIDS Day, and some special occasions for celebrations
      of diversity, such as celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepard).

      As a special added section, we have included
      alternative readings for the four Sundays of
      Pride-Tide (June) prepared by the Rev. Gordon
      McCoy. The four sets of readings for Pride-Tide
      may be used at any time in the year that the faith
      community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included
      for the four Sundays in June as well.

      The 2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal. We think you will like
      this Liturgical Calendar.

      Order the 2009 Calendar today at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa08_09.html

      The 2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      2. May We Suggest Stained Glass?

      Here’s a great, inexpensive idea for Christmas
      Gifts: stained glass!

      The stained glass pieces made especially for Chi Rho
      Press are the basic cross ($12.00), the gay/lesbian
      rainbow flag ($18.00), the red stained glass AIDS
      ribbon ($7.50), the rainbow cross ($18.00), and the
      rainbow star of David ($18.00). See them at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Contact him at Adam@... for further
      information and to discuss commissions for larger
      works.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site and take a
      look at the stained glass windows and buy some of
      the smaller pieces that are readily available.

      3. Special for Churches

      Here's a way for your local congregation to partner with
      Chi Rho Press and to make some money as well. Chi Rho
      Press is an LGBT Christian publishing house that is part
      MCC.

      Chi Rho Press will give your church a donation of 10%
      of sales from people who list your church in the on-line
      secure Web site order form.

      Let your congregation know about this special offer and
      send them to the Chi Rho Press Web site,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com When they place an order,
      ask them to list your church name and address in the
      "Special Instructions" box on the check out page.

      Chi Rho Press will send 10% of the total order,
      including shipping and handling, to your church.

      Please advertise this in your church bulletin, newsletter,
      Web site, list-serve, or other communication medium.
      Spread the word and earn money for your ministries while
      helping this ministry to grow.

      Please let us know if you are going to participate but
      writing Adam@.... Thank you!

      4. A Third Openly Gay Member of the US Congress

      Colorado Democrat Jared Polis will become the third
      openly gay member of Congress when he is sworn in
      in January.

      Polis, a 33-year-old entrepreneur who made millions
      creating Internet-based businesses, beat Republican
      Scott Starin to represent the 2nd District, which
      includes his hometown of Boulder.

      He will join fellow Democrats Barney Frank (Mass.)
      and Tammy Baldwin (Wisc.) in the House of
      Representatives.

      There have been at least five other gays and
      lesbians in Congress, including currently serving
      Reps. Frank and Baldwin. Frank came out while in
      Congress. Baldwin was open about her sexuality
      when first elected.

      Frank and Baldwin had little difficulty winning
      re-election.

      We are excited about the publication of the
      2008-2009 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      Year B. We hope you will order your copies today!

      *****

      It is also not too early to start thinking about
      the holidays and gifts for your loved ones. Books
      make great gifts and we have some wonderful things
      on our catalog. In addition there are stained
      glass, rainbow key chains and bracelets, greeting
      cards, music, and a video. Please order early!

      *****

      Please encourage members of your church to participate
      in the special fund raising offer from Chi Rho Press.
      We will make a donation of 10% of all sales from
      people who mention your congregation in the "Special
      Instructions and Comments" box on the check out page.
      Please let your people know as soon as possible about
      this opportunity to help both our ministries.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: This tip will be
      especially important if you are ordering one or
      two Liturgical Calendars!

      When you are ordering from the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, be sure to tell us your preferred shipping
      method. The way the shopping cart is set up, the
      shipping method defaults to United Parcel Service.
      This is NOT the most economical way to ship for
      orders under seven pounds. If you want the most
      inexpensive shipping (within the United States)
      it is usually best to pick USPS (United States
      Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for packages
      weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United Parcel
      Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      Brother R. Adam DeBaugh, OSL