Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 26, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 26, 2008

      Make disciples

      Jesus said, "Go therefore and make disciples of
      all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
      Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
      Matthew 28:19

      Everyone who chooses to follow and serve Jesus
      Christ has a great commission. We are to make
      other disciples. According to Jesus, this is
      not a suggestion or an idea to do whenever it
      is convenient. When one looks at the original
      Greek texts in the New Testament, it quickly
      becomes evident that Jesus is actually issuing
      an order to everyone and anyone who decides to
      follow him.

      Discipleship is our holy calling. Not only are
      we to live as contemporary, culturally relevant
      disciples, but Jesus expects us to nurture,
      reproduce, and develop others in discipleship
      as well. Even more amazing, Jesus expects and
      mandates every generation of believers to reach
      out to others locally and globally with his
      message of faith, hope, and love. Each
      generation has the responsibility and the
      charge to tell the story of Jesus from his
      birth to the resurrection while sharing the
      love of God through compassionate acts of
      service to others in the world around us.

      The many Christian denominations and various
      spiritual traditions understand discipleship
      in many different ways. We must ask, how can
      we know the way to make disciples? The most
      basic understanding of discipleship comes from
      Jesus himself.

      A former seminary professor of mine often said
      80% of what we need to know about discipleship
      is found in the Gospels. Begin reading and
      rereading all the Gospels. We can learn more
      about being a disciple by studying scripture
      with the help of devotional readings, by
      worshiping in a local church community, and
      by participating in small fellowship groups.
      By saying prayers daily we can learn to be in
      step with the Holy Spirit's leading. Seek
      communities of faith that welcome and accept
      seekers of all sexual orientations. Invest
      in yourself by learning more about your faith
      through different classes and study guides.

      We benefit by the wisdom and experience of
      mentors in school and business. In the same
      way, we increase in personal insight and
      understanding when more mature believers
      mentor us. Search for those who walk the
      talk and ask to spend time with them, while
      asking many questions. Be available and
      generous with your time, willing to mentor
      and befriend others in their spiritual journeys.

      Making disciples is the calling of every
      Christian of every sexual orientation as we
      share our truth in Jesus Christ. Discipleship
      is about people reaching people with their
      experiences through Jesus Christ as Savior,
      Sovereign, and Friend. We are to be witnesses
      in word and deed of God's great love in our
      lives. We all have the potential to be good
      news messengers in a world full of bad news
      as long as we have breath in our bodies.
      Jesus expects his followers to make a
      difference in the lives of others locally,
      nationally, and even globally. Discipleship
      is a lifetime process, offering moments of
      great joy even in times of difficulties,
      suffering, and sorrow.

      Follow Jesus with all your heart. Pray every
      day and throughout your day. Attempt great
      things for God. Expect great things from God.
      Seek the fellowship of other believers while
      reaching out to others. Your life and the
      lives of others will be transformed.

      God, let me live as a follower of Jesus Christ
      today. Help me graciously and generously learn
      to share my faith. Bring me into discipleship
      friendships. Give us courage to both mentor
      and be mentored by others. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com