Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 10, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 10, 2008

      Grief and dismay

      "As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to
      them, 'The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into
      human hands, and they will kill him, and on the
      third day he will be raised.' And they were
      greatly distressed."
      Matthew 17:22-23

      As difficult as these verses are to read and
      contemplate, from time to time we must reflect
      on the life, suffering, passion, death, and
      resurrection of Jesus Christ. Today's verses
      should give us pause as we pursue our daily
      routines. So often these verses are glossed
      over and read superficially. A closer reading
      reveals this is a dramatic story about deep
      grief and consternation when the disciples hear
      their beloved Jesus speak of his impending doom.
      The distraught disciples could not comprehend
      the bitter reality that lay ahead for their
      cherished friend and spiritual leader. Their
      overwhelming sense of anguish blinded them to
      the glorious possibility of resurrection.

      All who choose to follow this remarkable Jesus
      need to realize there can be no Easter joy
      without the horror and tragedy of the cross.
      There can be no resurrection without Gethsemane.
      Every generation of believers must learn these
      lessons afresh. We also need to share the
      disciples' horror as Jesus speaks of his betrayal
      and death so calmly. We must ask the same
      questions as these grief-stricken disciples.
      Why would anyone in their right mind want to
      kill this remarkable healer, teacher, rabbi,
      and miracle worker who spoke such astonishing
      insights about God? With the disciples, I am
      grieved in my spirit. I wish Jesus did not
      have to suffer and die. I wish the cross were
      not necessary. I dread his awful betrayal,
      torture, and death.

      But we must not linger in the horror. We must
      hear the hope offered by Jesus that his disciples
      were unable to hear. Death will not be the end.
      Evil will ultimately be defeated. Because Jesus
      suffered, he understands our human condition.
      He understands betrayal, torture, injustice,
      cruelty, and death. As a result, divine love
      conquers hate. Good wins over evil. Death
      loses its fearful grip on our hearts for the
      grave is not able to hold Jesus. We can be
      joyful in suffering and courageous in the face
      of evil. So take comfort and keep looking up.
      Fix your eyes on Jesus. Through him God will
      provide us with strength for the day and hope
      for tomorrow.

      God, deepen our understanding of why Jesus had
      to go to the cross and experience betrayal,
      torture, injustice, cruelty, and death. Bless
      us with resurrection hope through our thoughts
      and prayers today. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com