Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 13, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 8:43 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 13, 2008

      The truth of the mustard seed

      "Another parable he put before them, saying, 'The
      kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed
      which a man took and sowed in his field; it is
      the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown
      it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree,
      so that the birds of the air come and make nests
      in its branches.'"
      Matthew 13:31-32

      I had the most amazing prayer experience today
      while walking the labyrinth in my yard. For those
      unfamiliar with labyrinths, they are a cherished
      form of walking meditation, consisting of a single
      curving, twisting path often based on a sacred
      geometry, and can be made from all kinds of
      materials. For thousands of years people from
      many different cultures have enjoyed the practice
      of walking labyrinths. Labyrinths differ from
      mazes. Mazes require choices and problem solving.
      The maze walker might not find the center. The
      labyrinth only has one path, which always brings
      you to the center, a place to linger, meditate,
      reflect, and pray.

      I love walking them in the early morning. Often
      I will pause every few steps and just enjoy looking
      and listening to the glorious sights and sounds of
      birds singing, chirping, and flitting about as they
      happily perch among the tree branches. Woodpeckers,
      wrens, thrushes, sparrows, robins, and crows daily
      fill the air with their songs. Today I thought of
      this parable of the mustard seed and how the birds
      of the air come and sit in the branches of a mustard
      tree.

      The mustard seed was the smallest known seed used
      by first century Palestinian farmers and gardeners.
      When conditions were favorable, the plant could grow
      ten feet in height. The smallest seed becomes the
      largest plant. The kingdom of God is like a mustard
      seed. People from every nation, tribe, culture,
      ethnic identity, language, economic background,
      political persuasion and sexual orientation can
      find a joyous welcome into God's realm through
      this glorious parable and their local birds.

      God, help us pray with the birds today to better
      understand and experience our beloved welcome
      into the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

      For more labyrinth information, several excellent
      web sites are www.labyrinthsociety.org,
      www.geomancy.org, www.labyrinthproject.com, a
      worldwide Web labyrinth locator is at
      www.gracecom.org, and www.relax4life.com (which