Vol. II No. 13 eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2001
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 13

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.
      Thank you for passing this eNewsletter on to others.

      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please
      visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see
      our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas, and
      stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Name This eNewsletter!
      2. Fred Phelps at Soulforce
      3. Chi Rho Press Combined Travel Schedule
      4. 'Come Home!'
      5. 'Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      6. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'
      7. Adam's Last Word

      1. Name This eNewsletter!

      OK, it is about time. The first volume of Chi Rho Press�
      eNewsletter began on May 1, 1999 and ran for 34 issues,
      through the end of 2000. The second volume (2001) has had
      13 issues now. We have decided that it�s about time to
      name the eNewsletter!

      So we turn to you, our faithful readers, for suggestions.
      We would like something catchy, descriptive, and
      appropriate. Please send your ideas to

      The Board of Directors will make the final judgement from
      all of your ideas. The suggestion the Board chooses will
      win your choice of any one item from our catalog
      (see http://www.ChiRhoPress.com).

      Send in your suggestions today!

      2. Fred Phelps at Soulforce

      I am forwarding this press release from our friends at
      Soulforce. I think this is an excellent opportunity for
      us to support Souforce�s important ministry.

      A Personal Invitation from Karen Weldin and Bill Carpenter,
      National Co-Chairs for Soulforce New Orleans�
      Journey to Justice.

      Dear friends of Soulforce,

      We don't know whether to laugh or cry at Fred Phelps�
      latest attack on Soulforce. See his full press release
      plus photos of "fag whoremonger" Mel White and his
      "grinning faggot wife" Gary Nixon on the Soulforce Web site
      under the heading "Fred Phelps To Picket Soulforce Events
      In New Orleans http://www.soulforce.org/pdf/phelpspicket.pdf

      Instead of laughing or crying, we're going to use the
      occasion to help Soulforce and thoroughly frustrate Fred.
      We don't know exactly who dreamed up this wonderful response
      to Fred's picket lines, but we love the idea and ask
      you to consider joining in.

      Instead of going eyeball to eyeball with Fred and his
      family,the Soulforce volunteers in New Orleans will
      (as usual) prayerfully ignore him. In fact,we're hoping
      that he pickets every Soulforce event at the Southern
      Baptist Annual Meeting in New Orleans, including our
      vigils and the Jazz Funeral.

      Here's where you come in. Fred has announced that he will
      picket our 6 pm dinner and training at St. Mark's
      Community Center, our 8 am and 5 pm vigils at the
      Superdome (as 13,000 "Messengers" enter and exit their
      meeting), and Wednesday's 12 noon Jazz Funeral, press
      conference, and possible civil disobedience.

      Usually he and his recruits picket for an hour or so,
      then, once they've had their photos taken, they head back
      for their campers. That would mean Fred will probably
      picket 4-6 hours during our Soulforce events in New Orleans.

      Will you pledge an amount to Soulforce for each hour that
      Fred and his people picket Soulforce with their GOD HATES
      FAGS signs? If you would pledge $5, $10,$20 or even more
      per hour, it will help underwrite this second Soulforce
      campaign to bring truth to the Southern Baptists. The Jazz
      Funeral, the vigils, and the possible civil disobedience
      cost a lot of money, but if just one Southern Baptist is
      touched by our visit, it will be worth it. Any amount
      you pledge is tax-deductible and gratefully received.

      Simply email the amount you would like to pledge to one of
      our many great volunteers, Denise Ray Mueller, at
      deniray@.... Denise will be handling all emails
      related to this pledge drive. After the Southern Baptist
      Conference is over, we'll let you know by return email the
      exact number of hours Fred pickets our Soulforce actions.

      Soulforce has four major direct actions planned in the next
      few months. Go to the Soulforce Web site to see our
      schedule. http://www.soulforce.org/actions2001.html

      These are expensive actions. Our volunteers pay their own
      airfare, hotel, and other expenses. It's taken six months
      to prepare the Southern Baptists for our visit and it will
      cost Soulforce more than $30,000 to take this stand. We're
      arriving in New Orleans with less than $8,000 in our
      Soulforce account. Please help us make a difference. If
      Soulforce weren't mounting this campaign, no one
      else would be in New Orleans to confront the
      tragic untruths.

      To use your Visa or Mastercard to donate, go to the Donate
      page on the website:
      Or send a (tax-deductible) check to Soulforce, Inc.,
      PO Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA 92652.

      And your per "picket" hour pledge will let Rev. "God Hates
      Fags" Phelps help Soulforce bring truth to the confused
      hearts and minds of the Southern Baptist Convention. Please
      consider going to the Web site now and making a donation or
      writing Denise at deniray@... and making a
      pledge to Soulforce for each hour Rev. Phelps and his folks
      picket in New Orleans.

      Blessings on you for your loving support of Soulforce.

      3. Chi Rho Press Combined Travel Schedule

      June 8, 6 pm, Dr. Rembert Truluck will be signing his book
      at the Faubourg Marigny Bookstore, New Orleans, LA.

      June 8-10, Chris Glaser will be speaking at the Pride
      celebration in San Jose.
      Contact Vaughn Beckman, VFBeckman@....

      June 10, Dr. Truluck will lead a workshop about spiritual
      healing after Rev. Mel White preaches at the Metropolitan
      Community Church in New Orleans.

      June 10, Chris Glaser speaking at a gay library center in
      San Francisco. Contacts Jim Mitulski, jmitulski@....

      June 10 Chi Rho Press� Traveling Bookstore will be at MCC
      Baltimore and their parish extension in Columbia, MD. The
      Rev. David Smith is our host. MCC Baltimore meets at 10 am
      at the Waxter Center, 1000 Cathedral St., Baltimore, MD.
      MCC Columbia meets at 6:30 pm at the Oakland Mills
      Interfaith Center, 'the end of Thunderhill
      Road,' Columbia, MD. http://www.mccbaltimore.org/

      June 11-13, Soulforce demonstrations at the Southern Baptist
      Convention, New Orleans, LA., Dr. Truluck participating.
      See http://www.soulforce.org for more details.

      June 12-16, Chris Glaser at the Presbyterian General
      Assembly in Louisville KY and doing a book signing there.
      Both 'Come Home!' and 'Called Out' have been ordered for
      this book signing. Contact Julie Moloney
      (jmoloney@...) or Annie McClure
      (AMcclure@...) for more information.

      June 23 and 24 we are visiting MCC Rehoboth, DE, opening
      up our Traveling Bookstore after the Sunday service, at 9
      and 10:30 am at their new location at 21 Midway Center,
      Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE.

      July 21 and 22 we are going to New Life MCC in Norfolk,
      VA. The Rev. Marty Luna and the Rev. Maria Wolfe are
      our hosts. The church meets at 10:30 am at 4035 East
      Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, VA.

      4. 'Come Home!'

      'Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as
      Gay Men and Lesbians,' second edition, by Chris Glaser.
      first published in 1990 by HarperCollins, the second
      edition was published in 1998 by Chi Rho Press with the
      addition of five new chapters to the original 20.

      'Come Home!' is perhaps Chris Glaser's best book. It is
      divided into five sections, each with five chapters.
      The five sections are entitled, 'Welcoming God's
      Acceptance,' 'Receiving Our Inheritance,' 'Discerning Our
      Call,' 'Making Our Witness,' and 'Declaring Our Vision.'

      Bishop John Shelby Spong called 'Come Home!' 'powerful,
      sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of God
      through the Bible. Christians, gay and straight, need
      this book if we are to be the body of Christ.'

      This is a brilliant and important book by perhaps the
      best-known Gay Christian writer in the U.S. today.

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called 'Come Home!' 'an
      enthusiastic compelling testimony to the power of faith
      in the lives of many gay and lesbian Christians.'

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, 'If courage, honesty,
      and insight are beautiful, then this is one beautiful
      book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their
      spirituality are issued an urgent invitation: Come home!'

      'Come Home!' by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith,
      hope, and affirmation inviting gay men and lesbians to
      come home to their spirituality through Christian faith
      and community. Order your copy today!

      'Come Home!' is available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      5. 'Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT

      Now more than ever, it is important to hear the voices of
      LGBT people of faith. Our first anthology, 'Called OUT!
      The Voices and Gifts and LGBT Presbyterians' is a good
      place to start. Edited by lesbian evangelist the Rev.
      Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and
      Melinda McLain, 'Called OUT' is in its second printing
      with Chi Rho Press.

      Chris Glaser is just one of 40 gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered Presbyterians whose stories appear in
      'Called OUT.' It is not just a book for Presbyterians
      however, but it is a book for all people of faith who
      are in the LGBT community, who are non-gay friends and
      allies, or who are struggling with the issue of
      homosexuality in the church. Read this book and get
      to know the real face of LGBT spirituality.

      You may order 'Called OUT' on our web page at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com using our handy shopping
      cart and paying with your credit card. 'Called OUT'
      sells for $17.95, six or more copies are $15.25 each,
      plus shipping and handling.

      6. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'

      The second printing of one of our most exciting,
      important, and unique books is now available! We
      urge Southern Baptists especially to buy and read
      this important book.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' has only been
      improved with the second printing! The cover is now
      laminated and much more durable. The back cover
      features a bar code for easier handling by bookstores.
      This printing also includes the Library of Congress
      Cataloging-in-Publication information. And lastly,
      the author has written a short update that readers
      will enjoy.

      Sales of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continue
      to be very strong. Ads for Dr. Truluck's book have
      appeared in the Advocate, The Other Side, Open Hands,
      and Ambush and the Times Picayune in New Orleans.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continues to be
      our fastest-selling title. It is still available for
      only $24.95, or $18.75 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      7. Adam's Last Word

      I love the fact that fascist Fred Phelps is wasting his
      money going to New Orleans to protest against our friends at
      Soulforce. And I love the fact that we have an opportunity
      to use his evil, hate-filled presence to further support
      Soulforce. (Please see article number 2.)

      I have pledged 50 cents for every MINUTE Phelps pickets
      against Soulforce in New Orleans. This is too important an
      opportunity to pass up. I encourage all of our readers to
      make a pledge as well.

      Our faithful readers have known for a month now that
      Dr. Rembert Truluck, author of our �Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse,� will be in New Orleans with Soulforce,
      starting with his book signing at Faubourg Marigny tonight.
      Half page ads have appeared in the last two issues of
      Ambush, the New Orleans LGBT newspaper, and an ad will be
      in the New Orleans Times Picayune as well. Chi Rho Press
      is proud to be a partner with Soulforce in this important
      witness to the Southern Baptist Convention. Please be a
      part of our joint effort by pledging your financial support.

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com/. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      For all other correspondence, please write

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our
      Web page or through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, Odessa,
      ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail:
      mailto:mapenterprises@...; phone or fax:
      1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)

      Copyright 2001, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,