Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 22, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 22, 2008

      Take up your cross

      Jesus said, "They who love father or mother more
      than me are not worthy of me; and they who love
      son or daughter more than me are not worthy of
      me; and they who do not take their cross and
      follow me are not worthy of me. They who find
      their life will lose it, and they who lose their
      life for my sake will find it."
      Matthew 10:37-39

      A dear friend carved a simple wooden statue for
      me years ago. It is a statue of a person standing
      tall with both arms upraised to heaven. I often
      use it for personal reflection and when leading
      retreats. The carving reminds me to surrender
      my pride, ego, personal issues, mistaken priorities,
      and hidden agendas at the door. Often I find myself
      using the wooden statue for my prayer. I will light
      a candle, stand on a prayer rug, and lift my arms in
      surrender while confessing personal human failings
      and other issues.

      I struggle with the cost of taking my cross and
      loving Jesus more than family and friends. I
      struggle with spiritual values and the cost of
      remaining faithful to my ministry call. It is
      human nature to do so. So I invite you to linger
      with me through these verses and surrender whatever
      keeps you from taking your cross and following Jesus
      in your life.

      For our prayer today, stand with arms upraised in
      silence. Let God guide your quiet time. Ask for
      a new outlook on everything.

      Oh God, give us your divine perspective today as
      we linger in prayer. Help us take up our cross
      and follow where Jesus leads. We ask for more
      love for Christ. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com