Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 15, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14 7:39 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 15, 2008

      A difficult teaching

      "These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, 'Go
      nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of
      the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep
      of the house of Israel. And preach as you go,
      saying, "The kingdom of heaven is at hand." Heal
      the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out
      demons. You received without paying, give without
      pay. Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your
      belts, no bag for your journey, nor two tunics,
      nor sandals, nor a staff; for the laborer deserves
      his food.'"
      Matthew 10:5-10

      Sometimes Jesus is not easy to understand. If
      these specific instructions were to be literally
      interpreted for today, I would be excluded. You
      see, I am not a Jew. I am a "Gentile." I work
      in towns and cities where "Samaritans," that is,
      people with mixed-blood through intermarriages,
      live. Quite honestly, I do not know many of the
      "lost sheep of Israel" that Jesus mentions. I do
      not have the power to heal the sick, raise the dead,
      cleanse lepers, and drive out demons. It also seems
      irresponsible, dangerous, and foolhardy to travel
      without money or supplies as a twenty-first century
      woman living in an increasingly violent society.

      Jesus sometimes seems to contradict himself. He
      went to the Samaritans early in his ministry career
      (John 4). He "went to the other side" where the
      Gentiles lived (Matthew 8). He even taught about
      personal responsibility and fiscal stewardship
      (Matthew 25). At the very end of Matthew's Gospel,
      he commands his disciples to teach everything he
      taught them locally and globally to all the nations.

      What does this passage mean today? The Bible tells
      us Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow
      (Hebrews 13:8), but does that apply to all his
      teachings?

      Perhaps I need this reminder that I have freely
      received God's generosity. I am to pass that
      spiritual generosity on to others. And yes, a
      worker is worth his or her keep. And those groups
      who ask for such services need to honor the time,
      effort, and labor involved by the workers through
      hospitality and honorariums.

      God, help me linger with today's teaching and learn
      what Jesus truly means. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com