Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 11, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 11, 2008

      Forgiveness

      Jesus prayed, "And forgive us our debts,
      As we also have forgiven our debtors"
      Matthew 6:12

      Quite frankly, I do not always want to forgive.
      I want to hold on to my anger, hurt, and sense
      of injustice. Yet Jesus taught we need daily
      forgiveness in our relationships with God and
      others (Matthew 18:35, Mark 11:25). We are to
      forgive from our hearts those who have wronged
      us. We are not to be vengeful, bitter,
      unforgiving, or harbor resentment.

      Forgiveness is a critical issue and greatly
      affects our mental and emotional health. A
      friend of mine recently completed her training
      as a social worker. Her internship had been
      at a mental health center. While it was
      fascinating to discuss the psychological and
      philosophical theories about the cause and
      affect of mental health disorders, a spiritual
      dimension seemed to be missing.

      One day I asked her if she or her colleagues had
      ever considered doing a spiritual assessment with
      their clients. She had never considered the
      possibility and was intrigued. She listened
      closely as I spoke of my experiences while
      working as a hospital chaplain with clients
      struggling with alcohol and drug abuse issues.

      Many of those clients had never forgiven themselves
      for ruining their lives and the lives of people who
      had once loved and trusted them. As a result, some
      had harbored soul deep feelings of bitterness and
      resentment for years. Their unforgiving attitudes
      festered into a spiritual poison, which sabotaged
      their success in defeating their drug and alcohol
      addictions.

      Forgiveness is a critical spiritual concern. Sooner
      or later, an unforgiving attitude will affect our
      well being. This can severely damage our mental,
      emotional, and physical health. Important personal
      relationships will eventually be poisoned and lost.

      Ask God for help with today's reflection.
      Forgiveness is never easy but the peace of mind
      that results is priceless.

      God, forgive my sins and forgive those who have
      sinned against me. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com